Need advice on my Remington 700 total overhaul

insomni

I own a .308 Remington 700 SPS, and I absolutely love her! That being said, she was a great entry level rifle, but I'm wanting to get into something more precise. I'm wanting something more along the lines of an M-24.... me being the cheap bastard I am, I want the handling and accuracy of an M24, but I dont want to pay the price of buying an actual M-24

So, I'm in the concept stage of upgrading my rifle
What I want to put on it:
HS Precision PST-11 or similar stock
A medium contour barrel (don't want heavy because I'd like this to still be more or less portable, but stiffer than the light barrel it has atm)

what I'll definitely keep:
Leupold XVIII 3-9x scope (new scope will come WAY later in the process... still have to sell the wife on this one)
Harris Model L bipod.
My upgraded trigger assembly
Sling.

Torn on:
magazine
receiver/action

So now I'm asking for advice. Looking for a good place to buy a 24" medium-tactical contoured match barrel. Also, is it even worth keeping the receiver/action from my current R700 & just slapping it into the new stock? Or would it be better if I just sold it and put the money towards a new rifle all together? So far parts are coming in as about 1/3 the cost of the rifles I'm looking at.

What should a gunsmithing bill for this come in at?

also any recommendations on brands for the barrel, stock, gunsmith, etc will be greatly appreciated

thanks y'all!

also, with shop recommendations, I'd prefer the shop to be in North Carolina. Virginia, and South Carolina would be alright also.... although if you know a really good shop that can do a build by mail, i'll be willing to entertain the idea.

Back