Need advice on first practical, "non-plinker."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwinnydapooh

Retired Screen Name
I've been doing a lot of reading on this forum and learned a lot, but I still want this input from any who care to add it. I'm 21, good health, 6'1", 300, strength somewhat above average for my size, large hands and strong grip, and I've been shooting a long time. However, I shoot mostly shotguns (we don't use rifles for hunting here, except .22s) and plinking with .22s. A friend let me shoot a .44 Super Redhawk (with .44 specials) and I loved it, did OK with beginner's luck. Now I'd like to purchase a decent handgun myself, maybe right after Christmas, as I plan to join this guy's range. I need something I can learn with as I go but that is useful for defense in the home if need be, but it doesn't have to be concealable since I can't get a CCW in IL anyway.

I was thinking of a revolver for simplicity, maybe in .357? Something like a Ruger (I liked the grip on the Super a lot) with a 3"-6" barrel? But like I said, I know just about as much about handguns as I've read on this forum so don't assume too much knowledge!

A Ruger sounds like a good choice. Although the GP-100's don't have the finest trigger actions in the world no one disputes their seemingly indistructiveness. If you wish to plink, shoot .38 special ball. For home use the more potent +P or magnums are available depending on your requirements. In addition Ruger has one of the best warranties in the business.

Gwinnydapooh,

It sounds like you have plenty of time to shop around before making a decision. I would go to gun shops, shows, and ranges and handle and hopefully shoot everything you possibly can. There is nothing like a hands on test to help you decide.

Normally I would recommend a .22 as a 1st handgun, but since your criteria included home defense, I'll go with something larger.

Since you are in a learning stage, I would recommend a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible Model, in 9mm and .357 mag.

Here's why:

1) Inexpensive. You can find them used for $225 --> $275, or new for about $50 more.

2) Ability to start learning with lower power rounds like .38 special or 9mm and move up to full house .357's later on.

3) With the 3 caliber options in one gun you can take advantage of what ever might be available or on sale.

4) Ruger makes reliable handguns, and stands behind their products.

5) If your interests change and you decide to sell it, they usually sell in about 5 minutes.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

I agree that a .357 magnum, with a four to six inch barrel, is an ideal first "all around" revolver. Both the S&W 686 and the Ruger GP-100 are excellent; their all-stainless models are not overly expensive and are incredibly durable (particularly the GP-100).

I personally prefer the Ruger GP-100 (in stainless), but "hand fit" obviously is a major -- and individual -- factor in that decision.

The ability to use .38 Special rounds (substantially cheaper, less recoil/muzzle flash/noise, reduced metallic fatigue) provides a significant advantage for practice, plinking and acclimation.

For self-defense, you also have the option of the .357 mag series -- many excellent, proven defensive rounds -- as well as the .38 Special, which may be preferable in some situations (such as using .38 Special Hydra-Shock in multiple dwellings where unintended carry-through to adjoining units is a real concern).

[This message has been edited by RWK (edited October 01, 1999).]

Gwinny, you can't go wrong with a quality .38/.357 such as the Ruger, or Smith, Taurus or Colt. Once you have mastered the trigger of a double action revolver, anything else you shoot will be too easy. Also, if you ever plan to start reloading, revolver cartridges are simpler and brass doesn't have to be chased all over the range. This last is very important to be because most of my shooting is done on a river bank with reactive targets (whatever happens to float down the river). Its a poor man's tactical range. The .38 spl is also probably the cheapest centerfire cartridge to reload for. In fact, if you reload the .38 it is about the cheapest shooting you can do next to a .22. Less money=more shooting=more fun=more skill!

Thanks all! Sounds great. I didn't know there was such a thing as a 9mm/.357 switch--is that just a switch of the cylinder? I can also shoot .38 with the .357 cylinder? Sounds perfect.
Does anybody do this kind of gun (maybe Taurus) for a lower price, and if they do is the quality still acceptable in your opinion? $225-275 sounds perfect for such a versatile weapon but it can't hurt to ask. :)
Thanks all who helped and if you still have .02 worth, toss it in.
For instance, I do have time to shop around, but if I get a chance at a really great deal on an auto, would it be worth it to start with one even though it's more complex? I know a couple of you started with autos.

Hank, I didn't know autos and revolvers used different ammo--I thought certain loads and calibers were just more prevalent in each camp. Does that mean that the 9mm mentioned above wouldn't be able to shoot the cheap 9mm like Parabellum? If 9mm has to be made differently to fire in a revolver, I would imagine it wouldn't be too cheap since most of the 9mm sold is used in autos. In that case, maybe it would be better to stick with plain old .357/.38 spls.
Thoughts?

[This message has been edited by Gwinnydapooh (edited September 30, 1999).]

Gwinny: I concur with the other posters: .357 Magnum. Given your appreciation of the Ruger single actions, I would suggest you take a long look at the 6-1/2" Stainless Blackhawk. This is one of the strongest .357's available: in stainless it's an all steel gun, and the cylinder is massive for the caliber. It's a comfortable gun to shoot, even with the stoutest loads. That 9mm cylinder ('convertible') option is less practical than it seems, unless you have access to an unlimited supply of 9mm ammo for free. The .38 spcl/.357 will cover all the ballistic bases for you, including those of the 9mm, and the barrel of the Blackhawk is most accurate with .357/.358 diameter bullets, rather than the .355 Luger pills. I have a stainless Blackhawk as above, myself...it is one of my favorite handguns, and just keeps getting better and better as the years go by (mine is 1979 vintage.) With 168 and 180-grain handloads it has killed some very big tough critters, yet with .38 target loads, it is a pussycat that groups under 2" at 25 yards. slabsides

------------------
An armed man is a citizen; an unarmed man is a subject; a disarmed man is a slave.

While Taurus handguns do work, their lockwork is not as sound as that of S&W. Specifically, S&W has an internal safety feature (rebound slide) which intercepts the fall of the hammer if the trigger isn't depressed. Early Tarus had this feature, but deleted it when they simplified the design. I'll go with S&W before Taurus.

For durability, ruggedness, and ability to absorb abuse, Ruger is the way I'd go.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back