Need advice on different things.

sundance43.5

Hi everyone. I'm relatively new to the shooting world, but jumped in head first. I'm looking for my first handgun, which will be a revolver. I need advice on 3 things:

1) I've narrowed my choices down to a S&W 686 or a Ruger GP100 series, so, what's your personal take? I won't be using much, besides commercial loads.

2) Should I get a 6 or 4 in. barrel? I'll be doing some hunting with it, but it won't be at more than 50 yds.

3) I want to buy a used one, so what should I look at at a gun show, if I find one?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Of the two revolvers you mention, both are excellent guns. I would choose the Smith & Weson because it fits my hand better than the Ruger and has a smoother action.
The 6 inch barrel is slightly better for hunting, but I think that the four inch is more versatile for all round use.
In a used revolver check the lock up as the cylinder revolves and locks back into the firing position. If this is loose, I would pass and look for another gun.

Out of the box I can say that the S&W trigger is smoother than the Ruger. Overall, I would go with the Ruger. I just prefer it over the S&W. The Ruger can have a trigger job done on it to smooth it out. You can also take any kind of political stance you want with this. Both companies have had their fair share of problems.

The Ruger just seems to be a bit more rugged. I've got the 6" model and like it a whole lot.

S&W = 'May' have better trigger. Nice gun.

Ruger = Easier to dismantle/clean/tune, more rugged and durable, easier to swap sights.

Both can be extremely accurate. Both are tough. I own two stainless 4" GP100's because I prefer them.

I suggest the Ruger.........

Do you have a rifle or shotgun already? Do you plan to get any other guns?

A 6" version of either of the guns you mention will be heavy for a 357. Which would make shooting heavy loads less of a pain, and the longer sight radius would also help practical accuracy. But will make carrying for hunting or whatever more of a pain.

What do you plan to hunt? And what type or style of hunting [ie tree stand, walking/driving, spot & stalk, etc]?

50 yards is a very long ways for a pistol shot at game with an unscoped 357. If your deer hunting with a 357 I think it makes sense to use the same limitations that you would if using a bow & arrow. Keep the range to around 35 yards max and try for behind the shoulder shot.

Are you going for 1 gun for everything or do you have other reasons for picking the 357?

For a first gun I would suggest buying from a gunshop that also does gun repair. One is much more likely to buy on impulse at a gun show...and if you do have a problem with the gun being able to go to the place you bought it from and tell them to fix it is a lot easier than tracking down someone from a gun show.

I already have 2 rifles, so that is of no concern. I'm going to be hunting raccoon, opossum, coyote, turkey, and MAYBE deer. For the first 3, I imagine .38 would be enough. I'm really leaning towards the 4in. barrel, unless someone gives me a good reason not to. I do plan on buying other handguns, but not anytime soon after I buy this one.

Thanks

I'm really leaning towards the 4in. barrel, unless someone gives me a good reason not to.

If your state's hunting regulations require a minimum barrel length of more than 4 inches, that would be a good reason to choose a 6 incher. Since you're already a hunter, though, I assume that you've looked into this and it's a non-issue.

In addition to the benefits of a longer sight radius and reduced muzzle flip, a six inch barrel should also give you a slight velocity boost and a more muzzle-heavy balance that many shooters think steadies their aim. The longer tube should also reduce muzzle blast and flash a bit.

If you think you'll eventually buy another handgun or two, I'd get something like a 6" GP-100 now and a lighter-framed revolver (such as a used S&W Model 19) with a 3" or 4" barrel later.

Back