Need advice on coyote hunting.

O4L

I'm going to be coyote hunting for the first time with a friend that's hunted them some but not very much. He does have an electronic call.

Any tips for me?

-Set up the call up wind
-Be quiet
-Hunt multiple stands
-Practice being quick to get on target as they appear and disappear quick
-hunt a couple hours after dawn and a couple before the sun sets

Others way more versed than myself will be along shortly.

Sometimes it works like magic and sometimes not so much. You'd be amazed at how far a yotie can hear you talking, clanking equipment, or busting brush. Watch the wind and watch downwind. Don't expect or wait for them to run right up to you, take the first good shot presented within your "sure hit" range.

I'm a good shot, good hunter, and have lots of yoties around. My Son is OK in these categories but he's one of the luckiest yotie callers I've ever been around. He sees, shoots at, and often misses more yoties than I ever get to respond to the call. Just doesn't work as well for me.

And try not to wound them and make them suffer.
They might be considered vermin, but they still deserve humane treatment.
Take only sure kill shots like any good hunter.
You might want to practice in some useful way before taking to the field.

-Put someone watching the downwind area from the caller
-if they are coming, let them come. They are easier to hit at 50 yards than 300 yards
-you don't have to call open country like on tv, don't be afraid to call the thick stuff
-always be watching
-SIT STILL
-bipod or monopod for a rifle
-hide the truck, make as little noise as possible getting into the stand, and to
Hike in so the wind doesn't blow your scent over the area you want to call

Think in terms of complete camouflage covering. Doesn't have to be expensive. The principle of camouflage is to change the shape of whatever you're hiding with colour.
Assuming there's snow on the ground where you are, you can buy white painter's coveralls in most paint supply shops for far less than a gun shop will want. Buy 'em big enough to go over your coat and pants.
Isn't a bad idea to wrap your rifle in white cloth too. Rubber bands will do to hold it in place, but so will tape. Old white bed sheets or a few yards of remnant cotton will do nicely. For little or no snow, burlap comes in green as well as tan in most garden shops or discount fabric shops.
If you're planning on keeping the hides and it's legal where you are, use FMJ's or match bullets. They don't expand rapidly upon impact and make great big holes. No wounding with 'em either. Chest shots. No quartering from the rear.
Also assuming you're using some centre fire .22.
Helps to remember that Wiley hunts for a living and he's far better at staying alive than you are.

Thanks for the advice but I'm not new to shooting and used to hunt and know how to take game once it's in range.

I have never been out hunting specifically for coyote.

We don't much care where/how we hit them. Once you've seen coyotes/wolves rip the flanks, spill a deer's guts out, and eat them while it's still living, anything goes . With fur prices so low, I don't even follow up injured coyotes unless there's plenty of snow-more trouble than it's worth.

The only thing I would add is to say NO to the FMJ bullet reccomendation. Use proper bullets, a yote can go a long way with a hole from a FMJ bullet.

Are u hunting daylight or night??

Maybe put out some rotten food to entice them as well. If u see one/them and they're in range but they seem to have detected you and start to run off, make a loud fast high pitched "Woof!" or "WooWoo!" sound and immediately get behind the scope. Often times they will stop and turn back for a few seconds to investigate the sound, but only for a couple seconds before they run off again. Red and green lights work fairly well at night if u don't have any night vision or thermal. You can see their eyes glimmering in the light as they approach. Either mount it to the gun or scope (make sure it's co aligned with your cross hairs in the scope) or have your buddy shine the red/green light while you are on the gun or vice versa. Too much use of the light might spook them the closer they get though so it can be a double edged sword.

They come and go quick, so be on the lookout and have the gun in a ready position. A cheap raspy hand call might help also. U don't have to be good at blowing on a "rabbit in distress" call. Just mimic a baby crying and act like an animal that's all jacked up freakin out. Blow on it for 10 seconds to 2 minutes at a time. Don't use the electronic call at full blast volume for an extended period of time. Maybe start not too loud for a minute and then wait. Then start again and go louder for 20-30 seconds. If they're already within a few hundred yards an unrealistically loud call might scare them off. and Be as camouflaged as possible and try to hunt with the wind in your face. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Learn about what their activities are. Find their trails and routes. Monitor the wind. Don't use the same calls that everyone in the next three states are using.

I didn't get good at it until I learned to use open reed calls. Unique sounds will definitely peak their interest, so will the sound their favorite snack. Other coyote sounds will bring them.

Light breezes and calm weather boosts their confidence and gives them an advantage, but you can use it to your advantage. Gustier nights can make them not trust their senses, more wary and more cautious.

I've ambushed about half, maybe a touch more, by simply setting up on a trail with the wind in my favor and wait without ever using a call. Don't over use a call.

There's vast differences in wisdom among coyotes, some are quite dumb, some are smart.
Don't ever assume that shooting one scared the others off.

So many tips and techniques, don't let a dry run discourage you. Practice, luckily coyote hunting is usually free.

Everyone covered the big points, but I'll add one more. If you have two coyotes moving through your area, shoot the one in the back. Almost every time the front coyote will run a ways and then stop to see what happened. Wait for that second one to stop.

They are smart critters. I shot one a few years back, when it was about as dark as it can get. Never found it. Later I realized that the 3 legged one I was seeing had to be that coyote. Man, she was skittish. Over two seasons, I got two of her mates, but I never got another shot at old Tripod. I'd get glimpses, but never a clear shot.

I love coyote hunting.

i say shoot them any where you can, they will take a fawn as its being born if they can and will disamate a flock of young turkeys(several weeks old) in short order as well as eat your pet cat or dog if they can. eastbank.

Back