Need Advice on an Inline

Joer

Inactive
Hi,
I'm new here, I have an old CVA kit gun for 20 years, been out of shooting for a long time looking to get back in and get an inline for my first attempt at deer hunting next fall. I have been looking at the TC Black Diamond or the CVA Kodiak or Optima.

Budget is a concern so I wonder if anyone out there could give me their experience with any of these 3 guns.
I am leaning to the TC because of their solid reputation, I have read mixed reviews on the CVA rifles.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Joe R

Why not use a traditional Muzzle Loader? Thats the way it used to be done.
There are some very respectible states out there that require traditional guns for there black powder seasons. Unfortunately, Mn isn't one of them.
MN even promotes the Imitation Muzzle Loader, as the Safety Training Dept. states they are safer. Now i am all for safety, But being traditional and being safe is all right to.

Some of those cheap Imitation guns are just plane trash. i would be embarrassed to say i owned one.

Gbro

My goal is to use both kinds of guns next fall. Here in IL we have plenty of deer and I hope to get 2 permits. If this forum isn't the place for modern gun questions I am sorry for the post.

Joe

Most modern muzzle loaders are fine rifles and well suited for their intended purposes. Check out the group on the target shot with a TC Black Diamond.
Plus, it can be used with 3 different kinds of caps for ignition, #11's, musket and #209's.
My inline uses #11 caps and has the same type of plunger action as the Black Diamond and I don't have any complaints whatsoever.
I hope you can find one of the good deals that are sometimes available on them. ;)

See the target:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228640&highlight=blACK+DIAMOND

attachment.php

Attachments

• 976603656-3[1].jpg
    976603656-3[1].jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
I've always heard CVA will not prove that their barrels can handle the magnum powder charges. Another thing I heard was their barrels are extruded and weak. I've read so many scary things I've just kind of never even considered one. I've also heard they are made in Spain and Spain is Europe's Mexico. I'll tell you this much, if it says made in Mexico, I will not buy it LOL. Get a Knight, Remington, or TC.

I have a TC Black Diamond. Blue Black w/22 in barrel .50 cal., it's kind of a plain Jane but they are appropriate to their name. Really a Diamond in the rough. There is so much thought put into these guns, it's unreal. They are indestructable. Accurate as any hunting firearm could be. They are light as a feather. Easy to clean.

My real belief is that the 209 primer is an accuracy killing mistake. Musket caps set off pelletized powder better than anything I have seen.

TC is going to stop making the Black Diamond so get one while you can. I wish I had 3 of them!

One other suggestion is Traditions Lightening. You can get the 24in barrel in a Nickel plated w/camo stock for around $250 and it has the #11, Musket, 209 nipples. This is a very nice inline for the price. Mine shoots 2in groups. These nickel barrel guns clean very easily.

Just an observation, I have an Optima Pro and it's a heavy rifle, mine with the scope is 10 lbs. It would be OK if you were hunting from a stand or ambush hunting. It's uncomfortable even carried with a sling.

The CVA Kodiak is an interesting choice, sounds kind of like the Traditions I mentioned, the reviews on Cabelas website are all very positive. It's 7 1/2 lbs offered in nickel or stainless in the pro model. Pro model even has laminated stock. The blue black is very nicely priced.

I would look at the TC Omega, Encore or Triumph. I know thew are a little more expensive, but they are worth it. I have an Omega. !.5 inch groups at 100 yards and killed 8 deer with it in 2 years.

I've owned three CVA guns in the last 10 years. Started with a Stag Horn, then upgraded to a HunterBolt which some jerk stole out of my truck in 2005. I went out and bought an Optima then. I love the gun. With Hornady SST 250gr. Speed Sabots and 150 gr. 777 pellets I can make three shots touch at 100yds. As someone else already said it is a heavy gun, but that makes the recoil even more manageable using magnum loads. It is the most naturally pointing and shouldering gun I have ever owned.

I have taken 6 deer with my TC/Omega 50 cal. and have been pleased with it. Its as close to an all weather muzzle loader as you can get. Before I bought the Omega I had a stainless black diamond in 50 cal. It was as accurate as some centerfire rifles. I sold it to a buddy of mine and he still brags about how good it shoots. The Omega is easier to maintain and clean.

I have been shooting Blackpowder guns for about 30 years and this past season purchased a T/C Omega.
My rifle of course uses a 209 shotgun primer for ignition.
Topped it with a 4x Nikon and shooting T/C Super Glide sabots, over two 50 grain Pyrodex pellets the rifle groups around 2'' at 100 yds.
Real easy to thoroughly clean also.
Respectfully, Zeke

Thompson Center

I have a T/C Hawken that has a season or two under it (or three, or four...). It's been very reliable and if it speaks for the quality of all the T/C firearms, I doubt you'll go wrong with one of their products.
I think that, kind of like cars, even the cheapest import inlines now are at least functional, even if they're not spectacular. Since your choices are both from the upper-middle section of the manufacturers' product ranges, I doubt you'll go wrong with either one. I personally am sold on T/C. The two manufacturers really run neck and neck it seems like, so try to handle both if you can. (Sounds like a gun-shopping excuse to me:D )
Don't let the traditional arguments bother you. Shoot what you like and what is legal. I'm a firm believer in having as much edge as I can get. Even my Hawken has been upgraded to a musket-cap nipple and fiber optic sights (and soon to have a new Green Mountain 21" barrel with faster rifling for conicals). While I prefer to be as traditional as I can, I also do what I have to in order to make a humane, accurate kill. To me it's just a matter of being responsible.
Whatever you do, just enjoy your rifles and your deer season, and welcome back to the black-smoke world:D

Bought the TC

Thanks all for the emails. Last night I bought the TC Black Diamond. I went the extra cash and got stainless thinking it would be easier to clean and last longer. The 24 hour waiting period is up so now I can go get it and mount the scope and start getting used to it as soon as we get some decent weather..

Joe

Back