Need advice on a .22 LR plinker ...

awisler

I'm looking for an economical (less than $300 - $400) bolt-action rifle for range work, varminting, and general plinking in .22LR. I'm eliminating the much-praised 10/22 because semi-autos aren't allowed for hunting in PA :(. It doesn't necessarily need to customizeable if it's got decent out of the box accuracy and a decent trigger. Someone told me to look at the Savage mark II with the heavy barrel for ~$200, which seems like a good deal. Any experiences or advice?

I'm also planning to scope this rifle. Any advice on a scope for the above-stated uses? Any experience with the Weaver V16 or V24? I'm new to rifle scopes, and could use some advice.

The secondary goal here, aside from getting a fun rifle, is to keep costs reasonable and end up with a good platform to practice basic shooting skills which I can apply to my more expensive-to-shoot center-fire rifles.

Thanks for the help. Lots of experienced folks here on TFL.

Andrew

IMHO, the route to go is to look around for a good used older .22, like a Remington 511 or 512, a Winchester 69 or similar action, a Mossberg, or a Marlin, in order of my own preference. Rarer on the used market but still good would be a Marlin 39 lever action.

Those guns were made to last three or four lifetimes and the prices are still fairly reasonable. Although the Winchesters are a little pricey, I have seen Remington 511s and 512s go for a little over $100.

Jim

Thanks for the advice.

DZ -- I'm in Beaver Co., NW of Pittsburgh, though I have some friends near Philipsburg. Maybe I'll have to check that shop out.

Jim -- sounds like good advice. I haven't shopped the used market much yet, but it sounds like I should look around a little.

Any advice on scopes if & when I find my rifle? Thanks.

i have a Simmons 22mag scope on my marlin 22lr M60SS

nice 3-9 power scope
arround a hundred bucks

Grice is a big distributer
On their show room floor they have one of each!

dZ

I second the idea of the Model 39 Marlin. I used to hunt in PA and my 39 brought down many squirrels. The Golden 39 will outshoot many cheap bolt guns. Used ones were pretty plentiful at the Mid-Atlantic Arms Collectors show in Harrisburg recently. Prices were $175-300 for a 39 with long 24" barrel. I would feel as comfortable with the 39 as most bolt guns, plus it hold a lot of rounds for fast plinking. I think 26 shorts!

If the CMP is still selling the Remington 541-X for $260, it's an excellent buy. Not only do you get a quality bolt action .22LR, but you get one with a book value of $700 or so. :)

The 541X rifles are gone, finished. As they are not grooved or tapped, mounting a scope is hard. The H&R M12 is also gone.

I have one of each and they came unused, 100% and perfect. The M12 had Redfield Olympic front and Palma reas sights.

The neatest plinking 22 IMHO is the Taurus M62 that I saw at the NRA convention this past weekend. My gun dealer said mine should be in on Friday. Take a look......BTW Taurus includes a free NRA membership with each new Taurus.http://www.taurususa.com/m62.html

Back