Need advice on .45 Gryphon or Charles Daliy

Waxahachie1

need help on Charles Daly and Griffon decision

I have a Ruger p90 and a Sig 229 but I'm looking for a 1911 that won't cost me an arm and a leg.My dealer has Charles Daly's and a South African Griffon with a comped barrel.
The Gryphon looks nice but I haven't heard much about them.
Any advice would be helpful.Thanks
also any feedback on the C.D.'s I would apreciate.The c.d.'s
are new and supposed to be higher quality than the old ones.

[Edited by Waxahachie1 on 05-12-2001 at 09:17 PM]

I have an older Charles Daly and like it very much. Yes the quality has gone up since I bought mine several years ago. I live within an hour of the importer KBI Harrisburg PA. I went up to them to get grip screw bushings when I broke the originals trying to get them off. It was definately MY fault. They were a good group and stood buy the product. My recomendation would buy the Charles Daly. Have not heard of the Griffin sorry. Alot of people on the board have CD and like them. Try the search function. hope that this helps----DAROGUE1

I've seen both of these pistols in a local gunshop here in Wisconsin last year. The Griffon seemed to be of higher quality, fit and finish. The trigger was a little heavy.

The CD was rougher than the Griffon in all catagories of fit and finish. The trigger was heavy and full of creep.

I was not able to shoot either gun. But if I had to choose between those two particular pistol I would take the Griffon.

But I have been hearing that CD has really come on strong w/ their quality control and has been shipping some pretty good guns lately.

You may want to check out 1911forum.com they have section that deals only w/ CD.

Good luck.

The only Griffon I have seen has comp holes in the slide but not in the barrel. No one seems to know why. You might want to check the one you're looking at. I had a CD that had the holes for mainspring housing pin and safety misaligned with those on the other side. Mainspring housing retaining pin came out in two pieces first time I cleaned gun. I tried to replace some other parts but could not get pins to go through both sides of frame. Slide stop did not engage plunger in plunger tube. Just flopping loose although for some reason it never locked the slide back unless empty.

I have owned a Daly FS model since July of last year. I have not had any problems with this pistol. I have fired 950 rounds thru it (850 rounds of ball, and 100 of Hydrashok) with no failures. It is as accurate as guns that cost a few hundred more, managing two inch groups with it. For me it has been a good buy, carry's well too.

Repeating my post from a similar thread. This Daly was less than a year old.

-------------------------
I shot a Charles Daly last week for the first time. The guy next to me at the range was making cloverleaf groups at 15yds. I asked what he was shooting, and he sang the praises of his Charles Daly .45

He had done a little work to it. Adjustable sights, stippled grip, but stock barrel. Quality handloads.

He let me shoot it. Handled well. Shooting offhand, I did a little worse than with my BHP. Normal for first time on a new handgun.

When he was shooting from a rest, though, his 15 yard groups were a thing of beauty.

I have no experience with the CZ.

You would think that South Africa would really know guns, but they gave us the Vector CP-1 and while it was a neato looking pistol it had a lot of problems.
But then again saying that is like saying Americans know cars but they gave us the Gremlin...

I lost my point...

I started laughing because I remembered a Pacer/Gremlin race I watched many moons ago that ended up with both cars breaking something...

I forgot what I was going to say! ROTFLMAO!

Hey don't bad mouth the Gremlin... I had my first "liason" in the back of one...

As far as an inexpensive .45 1911, I handled an Israeli Arms that was made in the Phillipines by the same folks that make the new Charles Daly. The finish was beautiful--it had a luster that belied it's $350 sticker price.

The gun had no noticeable rattles when I handled it and the fit of the frame and slide was pretty tight.

I've never shot one, but it didn't look to be a bad pistol.

Back