Need advice from those who have done it

bspillman

Okay so I want to chop the barrel on my Maverick 88 12 gauge myself. Buying another barrel is not an option regardless of what it costs. I have other shotguns so this is the one that I want to chop. My plan is to cut it down to 20 inches and I want to measure from the very tip of the Barrel 8 inches back towards the chamber is this okay to do? Next question is what is the best method to chop it can anyone give any insight? thanks.

Barrel length is measured from the closed bolt to the end of the barrel. Any police authority measuring the barrel length will drop a 18 inch dowel down the barrel if it sticks out, you've had it. Do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to jail.

what I did was I started with a pipe cutter to get a line around the barrel, then I used a small hacksaw to finish cutting. Just make sure you measure about 4 times just to make sure. I used fine sand paper to smooth it out.

If that is a vent rib barrel you are cutting most people would cut it at one of the spots where the rib attaches to the barrel. Most also cut a little longer than the minimum to be certain not to be violated. 18.5".

The technique that Correction Cop recommends is a good one.

Years ago, a young woman, who worked at the same used car dealership, walked through the front door one morning, just about dragging a long barreled Mossberg Maverick.
She trudged on past the showroom, past the offices, and on through to the garage area, looking for someone to shorten her home defense 12 gauge.
One of the guys took a quick break, shortened the barrel, and handed a much better handling gun back to her.
She then returned to the showroom, into her office, and propped her shootin' iron in the corner next to the desk, for the rest of the day.
And no one batted an eye.

Personally I wouldn't use a pipe cutter. Three reasons. First, pipe cutters are made to cut perfectly straight tubes. A shotgun barrel tends to have some taper to it so the pipe cutter is not going to cut square like it's supposed to. Secondly, pipe cutters almost always slightly crimp the tube they cut, REALLY not something you want in a gun barrel. Thirdly, pipe cutters cut by twisting around the tube. If the barrel has a vent rib, you can already guess how that's not going to work.

I cut my SXP barrel the old fashioned way, a hacksaw and then square and smooth the muzzle with some files and sandpaper. Came out just fine. Measure out where you intend to cut, then wrap some masking tape around the barrel as straight and square as you can to act as a guide. Cut, then file it down to square everything up perfectly.

Don't sweat it. Cutting a shotgun barrel isn't rocket science. A half an hour of your time and some pride in your work will get you a good result. Also stay away from the grinders and other powertools. They might make the job go faster, but they also make mistakes happen faster. Barrel steel is surprisingly soft and easy enough to cut by hand, no need to complicate things.

Here's mine:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5720690#post5720690

Since you want to end up with a bbl length of 20", if your Mav88 has a 28" bbl, a cut 8" in back of the muzzle would be OK, since it's well above the Federal minimum barrel length of 18".

If the bbl has a rib, I would suggest cutting it just forward of a rib support/post & dress the end back with a file & machinist's square.

Just remember, if your desired length ends up between two rib supports, before you cut, measure the distance from there to the closed bolt face, so you don't end up with a bbl under 18" long. (sometimes the supports are a few inches apart).

Whatever, please remember that you'll need to install a new front (sight) bead atop the shortened bbl, near the muzzle.

Just wrap a piece of masking tale around the barrel and follow the edge.
WGen I cut mine, I scored all way around without going through to be sure and get as square as possible. Finished it off with a big wide file to 19 1/2" from the closed bolt face.
The metal is super soft so it'll cut very easy. Just go slow and watch for square as possible.
Cutting mine down from 30" to 19 1/2 was the best thing I could have done to this gun! It hndles beautifully! I just need to trim a little off the butt to size it to ne personally.
I bet it would make a bitchin Rabbit buster! I could just imgine swinging onto a speeding Jackrabbit! Oh yea maybe one of those BIG Arizona types! Frankilly, I don't see why Savage never offered a short field shotgun? I think most barrels are too long. Not everyone shoots ducks...
BPDave

He said to use the pipe cutter just to make a scribe mark, not to make the cut with.
The actual cut was made with his hacksaw.
It's a good way to do it and get things straight.

One thing to consider when shortening a shotgun barrel is that it might not be perfectly straight the entire length.
Some barrels are lined up so the muzzle and the breech are straight, but not necessarily the rest of the tube.
Not exactly, anyway.
So, the pattern might change.
Just a thought.

Back