need advice for first 10mm auto pistol

agent00

After many years I want to go back to pistol shooting.

This time I am interested in something more exotic (at least by Austrian standards) the 10mm auto.

But which 10mm auto pistol would you recommend for a newbie in that caliber?

The main usage is target/fun shooting and home defense. Civilians cannot carry guns so it does not matter if the pistol is going to be a bit bigger.

So far I have seen a Glock 20 and sig p220 at my local gun store. But I am sure I can also get other models via backorder.

Which one would you recommend for a new 10mm auto shooter? The Sig, the Glock, or a totally different model?

I am new to high-power pistol shooting. I only have used a 9mm Glock 17 many years ago at the range. And I also have a bit of experience with shooting a 357-mag revolver.

I wanted a 10mm and decided to get the GLOCK primarily based on availability and price in my area. While it may not be the most exotic 10mm around it is very reliable.

There’s plenty of good choices out there, but I chose the Springfield XD-M OSP and mounted a Votex Venom. It’s been a lot of fun to shoot.

9d8c9f02de7c13b64fcd5cc949fc9bea.jpg

There are a few 1911 platforms in 10mm available plus the guns listed above, Glock, Springfield, and Sig. S&W also makes a revolver model 610 and the M&P in 10mm and I don't know if they are still making them but Tanfoglio also made a 10mm.

I enjoy shooting my S&W 1006 and 1076 for my 10mm needs but have often thought about a Glock so that I can put my Smiths away.
Really it comes down to what type of action you prefer?

Thanks for the replies so far.

@smee78 There is nothing wrong with the Glock System. I never had any issues with the Glock 17. But I am quite tempted to get a 1911 plattform in 10mm because I have always eben fascinated by the 1911 colt.

If you are considering a Glock, and since you are interested in range use only, you might take a look at the longslide 10mm (G40). I think that would be a better choice than Glock's other 10mms for the range, especially since it comes in their optic-ready format.

I'd vote for the Glock model 40...long slide and it's ready for an optic too. I believe it comes from Glock with four different mounting plates for optical sights.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020974549?pid=827256
The 'problem' with the Glock is the 'Glock Grip'. It doesn't bother me but it does seem to bother a lot of people.

If you like the 1911 style gun maybe the Remington R1 Hunter long slide would float your boat.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020185852?pid=877326
If fired one and it is VERY nice. Here's a (long) pretty good review of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw5sI31M16s

That said, I'm a bit of a Springfield Armory fan and if someone says their 10mm is great, I'd believe them.

10mm

The softest shooting 10mm I've experienced has been a friends 6" Kimber target. An all steel, 1911 pattern pistol of some weight, it soaks up the 10mm nicely. My pal traded the 6" Kimber away, as he found it too heavy for regular carry (two back surgeries didn't help). The 10mm is not unmanageable, but the 6" 1911's help the process. I'll add that I shoot the single action trigger of the 1911 pistols better, as in more accurately, than the Glock "safe action".

I have not shot a G40 longslide, but the first 10mm I bought was a G20 and still have it. Affordable (well, more affordable) tough, and reliable as a brick. The 15+1 capacity should suffice for anything I would consider with a handgun. I don't worry about rough use with it, and I can't recall it ever stumbling. But I am not as accurate with it as a 5" 1911 pattern so chambered I acquired later.

For soley a range gun, I'd go with a 6" 1911 if weight and price was not a consideration. The soft shooting nature and the good trigger would be the selling points.

The G20 is a decent choice, if you have big hands.
Lots of parts and accessories are available, and it can hold lots of rounds, if that's important.
Agreed that you should go for a longish barrel, since 10mm is all about velocity.
I have a Colt Delta Elite, and it's a great gun, decently accurate and extremely reliable, but it's not everyone's cup of tea (no gun is).

After many years I want to go back to pistol shooting.

This time I am interested in something more exotic (at least by Austrian standards) the 10mm auto.

But which 10mm auto pistol would you recommend for a newbie in that caliber?

The main usage is target/fun shooting and home defense. Civilians cannot carry guns so it does not matter if the pistol is going to be a bit bigger.

So far I have seen a Glock 20 and sig p220 at my local gun store. But I am sure I can also get other models via backorder.

Which one would you recommend for a new 10mm auto shooter? The Sig, the Glock, or a totally different model?

I am new to high-power pistol shooting. I only have used a 9mm Glock 17 many years ago at the range. And I also have a bit of experience with shooting a 357-mag revolver.
Why select a 10mm? Have you shot one?

If you are leaning towards a 1911 style 10mm you can't go wrong with a Delta Elite. Have had mine for a few years and it's been rock solid and accurate.

C4kM2oA.jpg

Are you IN Austria?
First, check the stores and catalogs, what is available to you for gun and ammunition?
There is no point in pining over something attractive that you cannot get.

Thanks a lot for the further replies.

@Jim Watson Easily available are the Glocks and the sig p220. But I can also get other guns via backorder like Springfields or Kimber. Would also be possible to get a tanfoglio 10mm.

Sometimes there are even sold used s&w 1076 on sale but I would not count to get one of these. They are not cheap.

@101combatvet I selected 10mm because it is an interesting caliber. I want to own gun that has comparable ballistics to Magnum Revolver. I think the 10mm auto fits the bill perfectly.

I have never shot with one. I am just experienced with 9mm Glocks and with 357 magnum revolvers in the handgun field.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the further replies.

@Jim Watson Easily available is the Glocks and the sig p220. But I can also get other guns via backorder like Springfields or Kimber. Would also be possible to get a tanfoglio 10mm.

Sometimes there are even sold used s&w 1076 on sale but I would not count to get one of these. They are not cheap.

@101combatvet I selected 10mm because it is an interesting caliber. I want to own gun that has comparable ballistics to Magnum Revolver. I think the 10mm auto fits the bill perfectly.

I have never shot with one. I am just experienced with 9mm Glocks and with 357 magnum revolvers in the handgun field.
Gotcha, I would see if you can rent one before purchasing.

I'm not a fan of the 10mm in the 1911, it feels... unnatural, like an arraigned marriage. That leaves the Glock, S&W (which afaik has been either a disaster or isn't selling as nobody talks about it), Stinkfield xD, Sig, and others that aren't much of a name. I could see going with the Sig 320, but the Glock gets my vote due to its logevity and widespread use.

@101combatvet Yes that's my plan anyway. I also want to rent a 357 sig pistol, the only other caliber thatn you give the feeling of shooting in a Magnum in a pistol besides of getting Desert Eagle of course (but they are too expensive and a bit too bulky for my liking). A used Coonan Pistol would be a option too but I have never seen than offered here in Austria on the used gun market.

@Shadow9mm and TruthTellers Thanks for your recommendations. Yes a Glock would be the most obvious choice due to the great availability. Another pro is of course the fact that I am already familiar with the Glock 17. Had the chance to use g17 at the range quite often.

That's so true. I am not a reloader myself but we have a few reloaders at the range that can help out with reloaded ammo if 10mm has some availability issues.

At the moment ball ammo for target shooting is quite available though. The price is rather high but at least available.

For home defense, decent ammo is rather hard to come by. The ammo from the smaller American makers is not available anyway. 10mm Winchester on the other hand would be available but are on backorder now.

Silver Tips should be a good choice for that purpose.

Back