Need a tall Pietta 1858 Remington front sight post

Hellgate

I'm helping a friend dial in his Remington and it shoots waaaaay too high. Surprisingly, it has a fairly short front sight as opposed to the ones I've seen the last few years that seem exceedingly tall. Does anyone have a loose tall one laying around that I can buy? Or, I can swap a shorter Euroarms dovetailed front sight for it. I'm looking to yank out his short post sight and epoxy in the taller one. The gun shoots fine windage wise but about 4-5" high @ 7 paces.

VTI has the Pietta dovetailed target front sight or you can get something very similar from Track of the Wolf in steel or brass.

You could always make one from a coin, old spoon, or even a screw and forgo the dovetailed ones.

Pietta 1858 New Army Remington's do not have a dovetailed front sight. Uberti's do. I hand-cut a dovetail into my Pietta to accept one of these:

http://ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JA182

Here is the article on replacing the front sight on the Pietta 1858:

http://4thla.weebly.com/replace-the-front-sight-on-a-remington-new-army-revolver.html

If I had to do it over again with the Pietta, I would probably just solder in a piece of brass rod, and then file it to shape to adjust windage and elevation.

Steve

The Pietta Tiro 1858 style Remington has a dovetailed front sight. This is what I was referring to.

I was going to get the one from S&S but bought several of the other from VTI for about the same price.

Could just solder a bit of material on it, then file away until you are hitting dead on at your preffered range, paint the soldered part black and it's like new.

I didn't go pull mine out to look but can you not pull the original sight post and make a new one out of a piece of brazing rod - or perhaps a piece of brass rod from a hobby shop? If it needs to be "turned" - stick it in a drill press and use a file. Either solder in or loctite?

maillemaker,
I like the looks of the post front sight you showed. I might just do that procedure. I was just thinking, like the guy in the article, someone might just have a sight laying around that I could simply plug in. Thanks for the links.

Thanks everybody else for all the suggestions.

Howdy

Years ago the Remington 1858 replicas came with a very short front sight.

Check out the front sight on this original that was converted to shooting cartridges.

1200px-Remington_Conversion_zps5mo6kfyb.jpg

When I was considering adding a conversion cylinder to this old EuroAms Remmie that I bought brand-spanky new in 1975, the first thing I did was have a taller front sight put onto it. With the original factory sight, it shot way too high. I bought an Uberti front sight from VTI and took it to a local gunsmith. He cut a new dovetail (the original dovetail was too small for the Uberti sight). When I got the gun back I fired a few cylinders C&B out of it to be sure I was happy with the new taller front sight. Then I went ahead and bought the conversion cylinder.

Remmie.jpg

Any gunsmith worth his salt should be able to cut a new dovetail.

I have several Euroarms Remmies that I have replaced the lower front sights with a Euroarms taller front sight from S&S Firearms.

Back