Need a scope for a Savage Mark II (22LR)

RubenX

I bought my son a Savage Mark II F (22LR). He's loving it and now wants a scope for it. This is to be used in 50 & 100 yard lanes. We need:

* Scope mount
* Rings
* Scope

I didn't wanted to start ordering stuff before asking for recommendations. I would prefer at least 14x magnification since my vision is not as good as my son's and I like to use it too.

Well, I found a good deal on a Nikon Prostaff, problem is, nobody seems to carry the weaver mount. On the Weaver Catalog, the Savage Mark II is not even listed, and there's no mention of it on the site (http://www.weaveroptics.com/mountcharts/default.aspx).

The closest thing is an entry on Weaver's site that says "10,12,110, 112 (All Short Action Accutrigger)". Well, the Savage Mark II is a short action and does came with the accutrigger. But I still have no idea if that's the part I need.

Here's a picture of the action:

fa82b27a.png

^ nope. Action came drilled and tapped but no mounts. I kept looking around on the internet and found a company that makes a one piece mount for the Mark II (linky). On their page they say that their mount is the same for the Savage Mark II and for the Savage 93, except for the size of the ejection port. The Savage 93's ejection port is 1-5/8. On the Mark IIs, if is an old Mark II is gonna be 1-3/8 and if it's a newer Mark II is gonna be 1-5/8 like the Savage 93. Mine is new but I measure it anyway and it is indeed 1-5/8.

With that info, I'm now pretty sure that mounts for the Savage 93 will fit my new Savage Mark II. The 93 does appear on Weaver catalog... I'll hit the gun shops tomorrow and try to find it locally.

did a search and here is some of what I found for bases for Savage Mk II. or you could call Savage Monday and ask them

Weaver:
#15 0.195"
#16 0.205"
#43 0.265"
#45 0.396"
#S45 Grand Slam steel bases 0.396"

Leupold:
Standard bases:
Gloss black #50028

QR (quick release):
Gloss black #52240
Matte black #52239

QRW (quick release weaver), for weaver style rings:
Gloss black #49866

Redfield:
SR-541:
Gloss black #47195

Burris:
TU-541:
Gloss black #410301

I also had difficulty finding mounting parts for my MkII. I ended up making my own.
With regard to the scope, look into scopes for 'Air Rifles'. The reason being they are usually capable of focusing down to 30 feet. Even though your plan is 50 and 100yards, being capable of shooting indoors at 50 feet may be a future option.

I got my stuff from opticsplanet.com. I thought that their website was kinda tough to find the bases. But give it a shot and if you can't find it email someone from their support staff and they will tell you exactly what to get. That's what I did and he showed me a set of bases that was like $9 for the set. I went looking through emails and this might be the ones I bought, even cheaper then I thought. http://m.opticsplanet.net/weaver-top-mount-aluminum-bases.html

I also got my scope from them. I got a cheaper Simmons 4-9 magnification that I am very happy with. My philosophy is that with it being a .22lr I didn't need to spend a lot on the glass.

I got my rings at a different shop just because the ones I ordered from Opticsplanet went on backorder or something. Also like the scope, I grabbed some inexpensive rings from a name brand company. With the .22lr you are not looking at a lot of recoil that is gonna damage or loosen up the rings or anything.

Altogether I spend about $70 scoping my MkII. I am very happy with it, it suits my needs for a plinking rifle. Additionally, this was my first rifle that I scoped so I wanted to go inexpensive as a learning setup.

What Houndog said:

Mueller makes a good scope for a good price.

mounts: Weaver 24 2 Piece Base Gloss Front or Rear Savage Mark II - 1 base

(Weaver Detachable Top Mount - 4 screw)

I have a Mueller 4.5-14X on my Tikka 595, .223 Rem and it's really a great scope for the money...very clear and accurate.

0612091537.jpg

I really like the Leupold VX-II 4-12x40mm AO on my Mark II... I bought it as a small game/paper puncher... If I was going to upgrade to a slightly higher power I would mount a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40mm or a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44mm... I've shot one with a Zeiss...

The scope mount finally arrived on the mail. I went with the EGW 41602, 20 MOA. As you can see on the picture, is it for the savage 93 because that's the one that matches the ejection port on newer Mark IIs:

02681385.jpg

EGW Mount

2f9e2048.jpg

Made for Savage 93 but matches the ejection port on newer Savage Mark IIs

53aa6cab.jpg

Put a ProStaff 3-12x-40 on it.

Got it bore-sighted already, can't wait to go the range and zero it in. :D

Found scope mounts that fit savage mark ii locally!!!

I've been reading alot of problems with scope mounting base for Savage Mark ii . After problems finding them for mine, here is your local store answer and I promise you it will work.
Cabelas has aluminum base that is marked for "Browning Bar" from REDFIELD for $9.99 and they fit perfect on my savage mark ii f and the rascal (probley more but check the spacing first because I havent tried) - redfield part #47518.

Next problem if your using a scope with any size to it (I used a bushnell trophy) you need high rise rings for your scope to clear your factory sight. Cheapest and best I found was from Cabelas - Leupold # 55870and - $19.99 - matte black 1" high rise aluminum rings.

This setup is awsome and cheap, also looks great! My 8baby year old is shooting shotgun shells at 50 yards (yes I'm proud!!! Lol)
Hope someone finds this helpful!!!

Thanks to Repoman1974, and Mounting Screws

#15 poster Repoman1974 had great tips; I exactly followed his advice and got the parts he recommended. I think that there is not a less expensive way on earth to mount the scope; thanks for saving me some money!

One more thing to add; the screws needed are two of 1/8" long 6-48.

I bought a Nikon Prostaff 4x32 rimfire scope. On my Savage Mark II G, there was about 1/4" clearance above the rear sight using the high rings recommended by Repoman1974. Probably I could have gotten medium rings instead.

Nice setup. I can confirm the Browning BAR mounts work on those savages. That's what I have on mine. But that EGW mount is way sweeter.

Took me forever to find mounts that worked on my mark ii F

I don't understand why you guys are having issues. After doing research i went to the store and picked up a 2 piece base and mounted my scope with no issue.
i think they were warne mounts, but i would have to check to be sure.
I don't care for rail mounts if I can avoid it.
The simmons 22MAG scope is great for 22's and comes with rings.

Back