need a recommendation, 22lr for my kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow9mm

So my kids are getting a little older, 6, 8, 12. They have all been out shooting a little and want to shoot more, and I realized I don't have any good handgun options for them. They have all shot rifles mostly as all my handguns are defensive based and they cant handle the weight or caliber (except the 12yr old) of my current handgun selection.

Looking for a semi auto 22lr gun. I have looked at several, but was concerned about grip size and distance to trigger and the kids being able to operate it.

Also trying to keep the weight down so the 6yr old can hold it up on her own. I want her to be able to point and handle the recoil on her own, with me just spotting, instead of supporting.

What would be some good options. The only recreational type 22 pistol I ever had was a Ruger 22/45 target barrel and I feel the grip was too large, and the barrel too heavy.

So far they have all shot a G19 9mm, LC9s 9mm, and NAA 22lr.
12yr old, shot all fine. Thought the mini revolver was fun. preferred the LC9s over the G19, said the grip was more comfortable. handled recoil fine shooting free hand with lots of supervision.

8yr old., shot all. G19 and LC9s only had 1 round in them. liked both, but the grips were overly large. He held on, but could not control recoil at all. He liked the NAA but the trigger was almost too heavy for him

6yr old. Shat all. G19, and LC9s only had 1 round, helped her hold them grip was too large but she was able to reach the trigger. she would not have been able to hold onto them during recoil without help. the NAA 22 was perfect size wise, but she could not pull the trigger. its over 12lb.

Last edited:
Can you bring them to a gun store to have them hold a few options? Might help with the hand size question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think many .22 options would be a problem, unless they are trying to be 1911 copies.

I agree with above, get out and have them handle some. You might, however, look at air pistols for the really young'uns?

You may consider that a handgun isn't appropriate for a 6 year old if you can't find one that fits.
She can handle the recoil, its just getting a comfortable grip for her. Last time we were out I put 1rnd each in my G19, LC9s, and NAA 22lr. the G19 she could barely wrap her hands around, and LC9s was a little better, but the grips were a touch on the long side. and NAA she held fine but the tiny 12lb trigger was too much for her. She was able to hold onto the guns during recoil, but could not control the recoil. Another reason I only put 1 round in and helped her hold them.
Shes got 2 older brothers, shes gonna be a scrappy one. she wanted to shoot more, but we were out of time.

Im sure there is a reasonable option I can find that will fit their hands. Its just that, most of the handguns I have dealt with and used were as an adult, looking for stuff for me. Looking for stuff for the kids, or making stuff work for them has been an entirely new experience for me. they have all been out shooting a couple times, but they are all starting to express more of an interest as of late.

Can you bring them to a gun store to have them hold a few options? Might help with the hand size question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So taxes are filed, just waiting on my refund. I was hoping to narrow it down a bit and get some ideas on good options, that way when I went in and let the kids try them out they would not have to touch/handle as many, and I could just buy it. I also thinks the stores would be more receptive to the kids looking if they knew I was buying, but just trying to find a good fit. plus I could call down and make sure they had what I was looking for, rather than just dropping in hoping they had one.

Last edited:
Walther P22, Ruger SR22 (SR22 is a copy of the P22), M&P 22 compact.

None are appropriate for a 6 year old. But you had a 6yr old fire an LC9....

Walther P22, Ruger SR22 (SR22 is a copy of the P22), M&P 22 compact.

None are appropriate for a 6 year old. But you had a 6yr old fire an LC9....
Why not appropriate for a 6yr old? We are just talking just some plinking with close direct supervision, at close range, with a nice berm..... she can hit what she's aiming at... just trying to find something that is appropriately sized. they make all kinds of kids/youth rifles like the cricket....

Check with your range buddies to see if they have anything that might work for the kids. I would suggest the Ruger Mk IV, and maybe try setting it up on a bench with some sandbags at the range so the 6 y/o would not have to support the weight of the gun, aim, etc. until she is able to or ready to.

Check with your range buddies to see if they have anything that might work for the kids. I would suggest the Ruger Mk IV, and maybe try setting it up on a bench with some sandbags at the range so the 6 y/o would not have to support the weight of the gun, aim, etc. until she is able to or ready to.
I do have bags, did not consider that, should have, but it might be a good option. I always shot my handguns free hand, I don't think I have ever tried off bags. That will be a great spot to start working with the younger 2. My 12yr handled the G19 and LC9s fine, but he preferred the grip on the LC9s, said it was more comfortable. so I just need to find something with a comfortable grip for them. I do want to consider weight, but I don't need to go light weight, just stay away heavier target guns.

Last edited:
Got my gr daughters,aged 8 and 10,a Browning Buckmark with a 5 1/2 barrel. They absolutely love it. I upgraded it with a flat trigger which reduced the reach a little,and a Tandemkross Halo which is a loop that fits on the back of the bolt-they can hook their finger in it to make cocking easier. Really nice setup. I also have them shooting my M&P 15-22 with 32 rd Promag magazines and battle sights. The rifle is stock because it is a good one to start with.

Walther PPKs or Browning 1911 22 Black Label. The Browning is 15% smaller than a full size 1911 so it should be a nice comfortable size for kids. I have the standard model but the Black label has better sights and a beavertail so no hammer bite.

76KJnv6l.jpg

I have a S&W M&P 22 compact. It is very light. I had to get used to the featherweight, but it is very reliable, accurate, and smaller than anything full size. The Ruger SR22 would be another good one, though I don't have that one. I also have a Heritage Rough Rider. It is a little heavier, but has the small grip of a scaled down SA revolver. It helps to slow things down for the little ones. All 3 of these are soft shooters in 22lr and smaller than your average center fire pistol.

You could substitute a Ruger SA revolver in place of the Heritage. Some folks just can't deal with the Heritage. It is not a premium firearm, but it's perfectly serviceable.

Last edited:
I agree 100% with wild cat. A young kid and a pistol are not a very good idea. Stick with rifles until they can safely and confidently hold a pistol. Get a 22 conversion for something you have. Too hard for you to control the muzzle while little ones are shooting safely. Wait till they are 10 to 15. There is no age that is best but there is too young for sure. It's all about maturity. When they are ready let them prove they can be safe with a CO2 .177 pellet or BB gun.

As others have indicated, I’m not sure I’d match a 6-yo with a pistol. But, not my kids, not my choice.

If you decide to move forward, I’d probably look at a S&W Victory or Ruger SR-22, possibly a Ruger Bearcat.

So my kids are getting a little older, 6, 8, 12. They have all been out shooting a little and want to shoot more, and I realized I don't have any good handgun options for them. They have all shot rifles mostly as all my handguns are defensive based and they cant handle the weight or caliber (except the 12yr old) of my current handgun selection.

Looking for a semi auto 22lr gun. I have looked at several, but was concerned about grip size and distance to trigger and the kids being able to operate it.

Also trying to keep the weight down so the 6yr old can hold it up on her own. I want her to be able to point and handle the recoil on her own, with me just spotting, instead of supporting.

What would be some good options. The only recreational type 22 pistol I ever had was a Ruger 22/45 target barrel and I feel the grip was too large, and the barrel too heavy.

So far they have all shot a G19 9mm, LC9s 9mm, and NAA 22lr.
12yr old, shot all fine. Thought the mini revolver was fun. preferred the LC9s over the G19, said the grip was more comfortable. handled recoil fine shooting free hand with lots of supervision.

8yr old., shot all. G19 and LC9s only had 1 round in them. liked both, but the grips were overly large. He held on, but could not control recoil at all. He liked the NAA but the trigger was almost too heavy for him

6yr old. Shat all. G19, and LC9s only had 1 round, helped her hold them grip was too large but she was able to reach the trigger. she would not have been able to hold onto them during recoil without help. the NAA 22 was perfect size wise, but she could not pull the trigger. its over 12lb.

Hmmm.

How about not a semi-auto at all. How about something like a Heritage Roughrider or Ruger Wrangler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back