Need a non-snag (not bobbed) hammer for Chiefs' Special

AEM

I posted this in Gear and Accessories, but then thought it should go here.

The hammer on the S&W Chiefs' Special hangs up on everythng, but I really don't want to bob the hammer. I would love to find a hammer that offers a snag free profile, but still allows safe single action cocking. I recall a custom shop named Final Option that offered a "burr" hammer for the J frame, sort of like the Walther PPK hammer. I gather Final Options is out of business.

Any thoughts as to how a S&W Bodyguard hammer would work in a Chiefs' Special? It might look a little weird, but it might be just what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Just off hand, I think a Bodyguard hammer would work OK, but I have not tried it. I am not sure a Bodyguard hammer has the single action notch since they were not intended for SA firing.

One thought might be to bob the hammer spur, then cut grooves in the top of the hammer so it can be cocked manually after being eased back by the trigger.

Actually, I carried a Chiefs for a good while and kept the hammer even though I shot mostly double action. If I were doing it again, I think I would go with a concealed hammer gun if I could get it in a 3" barrel and square butt.

Jim

Jim. The Bodyguard hammer does have a single action notch. Looking at the shape of the hammer though, it still does have a hook shape that could possibly snag. There was an outfit, I can't recall the name, that made shrouds for Colt and S&W revolvers that gave the guns the general shape of the Bodyguard, but also still allowed single action use. I heard somewhere that these were being made again, albeit quite expensive. You might want to look into that as a solution to your problem.
Paul B.

Thanks for the help.

Paul, I think you're on to something with the hammer shrouds. Colt used to make aluminum bolt-on hammer shrouds for the Detective Special, Cobra, etc. In the past few years, I've seen ads by the Waller folks who make range bags, gun cases, etc., which indicate that they are now furnishing hammer shrouds for both Colt and S%W. www.wallerandson.com

I hadn't thought about that option.

I hate the thought of drilling and tapping the revolver frame, though.

Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by AEM (edited October 11, 2000).]

Back