Need a new 45...

Kermit

Well, my Glock 21C is gone, my Sig 220 is in the shop getting a trigger job done and my USPf is getting lonely...remedy? Get another 45. Input anyone? I'm thinking I should finally break down and get a 1911 to complete the collection. I've shot the SA and although very accurate, it just "felt" rough in my hands. Colts are nowhere to be found in CA. Now the Kimber II's look interesting...what do you guys think? Oh, ground rules for this one...simple...keep it at about $700!

Well, my first pick would be a Kimber or Charles Daly 1911. If for some reason you decide against the 1911, I would seriously look at the HK USP45. After the 1911, the HK would probably be my favorite .45.

My suggestion would be to get a CZ97B. Great pistol, very accurate and you can use the $200+ you'll save and buy a case of ammo.

Joe

Check out the Isreal Military Arms M5000 at AIMsurplus
for $350. and buy two cases of ammo to practice with.

if you've got the Glock/HK/Sig, then I would absolutely go for the 1911. Not sure what you mean by "rough" but a Hogue grip can do wonders if you don't like wood. I would stick with a single stack, probably Kimber or Springfield, BTW.

Israeli generic 1911

I bought a I.A.I. M5000 from Ron Shirk's SGN advertisement
about 18 mo. ago. At that time they were $250.

It is a tight accurate 1911. As I posted elsewhere, it ain't as pretty as a Wilson Combat or a Les Baer, but it performs well. They have several models. I think the web site is ---www.israeliarms.com

I don't know if you can find a Kimber II for $700 in CA. If you can then definitely go for it, otherwise the new SA loaded models aren't as rough as the 2000 models.

Looking at what you already have, I'd agree that a 1911 is called for in the grand scheme of "collecting". You'd have a nice selection if you tossed in a nice Kimber, or maybe a Springfield Armory. Get the former if money isn't an issue, and the latter if it is.

New 45

Colt has made the approved CA list. I was leaning towards the Kimber, but now I'm thinking to get a Colt (name and tradition and mystique...) But I'm now seeing how good a deal the Kimbers really are...are the Colts worth the price?

Colts are absolutely worth the price...not that much difference between the two price-wise, anyway.

Kermit, God Bless You, buy a Colt and have it customized to your heart's content. It's what you know you really want! No one gun is going to feel right from the get-go, so you may as well have things built the way you like them. Plus, Colt's have that nice, rounded frontstrap. I bought a Series 70 Commander over a year ago for $430 (!!) and put $800 of work into it. It is absolutely beautiful, functions flawlessly, is incredibly accurate, and I trust my life with it. Nothing against Kimbers or Springfields, but if you're going to have just one, make it a Colt. Best Wishes in your quest, LBC.

Another good gun to conceder is the Ruger P90. Yes the grip feels a little like a 2x4 but mine shoots as well as my other 45's.(Colt,HK,SiG)

Kimber! Kimber! Kimber!

OK, I lied. Get a Colt, of course. Nothing like the real thing. Enjoy whatever you decide on.

Kermit, one could do worse than Colt or Kimber. I have both
and love 'em equally. Besides, single stack rules! :)
Bob
p.s. Does anyone make a slimmed frame HiPower? I like HiPowers...wish they'd make it S.S.

Back