Need a lube that won't evaporate...

Pilate

I use Break-Free mostly, but find that it dries up after a while. Are the synthetic lubes as likely to dry out? Recommendations please.

TETRA Grease

Since you didn’t give your application this may or may not help but I like tetra grease for slide rails, trigger parts, and most any other metal to metal contact, it won’t migrate or dry out and doesn’t move around when shooting like oil does. OTH with my AR the only thing that keeps it running is LOT’S of CLP.

John

I use, and recommend, Amsoil synthetic automatic transmission fluid. It won't evaporate, or oxidize (gum up) and contains extreem pressure lubricants. If you don't want to try that, try Birchwood Casey Synthetic Gun Oil.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

For storage lube on any gun, I use a 50/50 mixture of beeswax and crisco. I started using it on my muzzleloader and now I use it on all my guns w/great success. I also use it to polish my stock.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have some of the Tetra grease, but don't use it on the rails because I worry that the thick viscosity may effect functioning. I'm not looking for a long term storage solution so much as a short term one. I have 6 pistols in a small safe, and they all get fired. Some not as often as others. I took out my Seecamp after about four months in the safe, and it was bone dry. Not realizing such, I had some functioning problems when I took it to the range this weekend. I'll try some of the suggestions here. Pampers, how thick is that Amsoil? I like the viscosity of the Break-Free...

It's a synthetic automatic transmission fluid, so it's much the same as any ATF, except, being synthetic it is much less effected by heat or cold.

I second the vote for Tetra Gun Oil/Lube. I was using Remington's spray Teflon lubricant for my AR15s but I couldn't keep the bolt carrier slimy enough for reliable operation through extensive shooting sessions (e.g., 3 day, 1000 round rifle class). Tetra Gun does the trick.

Justin

Pilate, try the Tetra greas on the rails. You just use a little dab and then use a q-tip to spread it on the frame rails and slide grooves, just enough to cover it. Less is more. I think Tetra suggests that you buff it in and don't have any excess, but I have not been able to bring myself to do this.

You will not have any viscosity problems by using it sparingly. After a couple of uses and cleanings your slide will really glide on your frame. I really like this stuff.

Regards,
Frank

I have been using products by Sentry Solutions http://www.sentrysolutions.com/ I think they are great.The TUF-CLOTH has eliminated any signs of rust on my P7M8 when carried IWB.I like most of the products, and the cleaning after a trip to the range takes half the time now.Check it out.

More viewpoints! Thanks again. I will certainly take these suggestions to heart and experiment until I find the right thing for me.

I agree with jsn: A lubricant, such as Breakfree CLP, does not dry out; it has soaked into the metal. It is still there to protect and lubricate the moving parts. On an autoloader, you can probably run a hundred rounds through a "dry" pistol before any malfunctions may occur.

Nevertheless, a dab of grease on the rails, the barrel hood, and on the front top tip of the barrel will work well to keep the pistol functioning properly. I like Synthetic All-Weather High-Tech Grease by Shooter's Choice. It works in wide temperature ranges. A little goes a long way.

Over-lubrication attracts dirt and dust and will jam a pistol. Another product I've been using is Militec-1. It is a durable lubricant that stays where you put it, which is unusual for an oil.

About Breakfree CLP: I have found that this product will "sweat out" on a pistol that has been in storage for a while. You have to wipe the weapon down from time to time to keep it from getting too gunky. G-96 CLP is less messy in this regard and has a better odor. Both products provide long term protection and lubrication on firearms.

Bill Laughridge at Cylinder and Slide has a good brochure on proper lubrication of pistols and revolvers. I recommend it. He advises, when shooting an autoloader at the range, to field strip it every couple of hundred rounds, wipe it down, and re-oil it sparingly. This procedure is probably best for tightly-fitted autos. Also, he advises inspecting a pistol that has been stored for a while to ensure it is lubricated properly before taking it out for a shooting session.

For daily carry, I would prefer to have a pistol that is slightly "dry" since dirt and dust is a concern. But for a range visit, I usually drop a bit of Militec-1 in critical areas before and during high volume practice.

LAUGHS

I'm reading all your messages ... why do ya'all wanna concoct moonshine when you can use what the US Tri-services are tested as awesome, and what gun manufactures use themselves.

Get tw-25b. it's the real deal.

bestdefense.com has the best assortment of containers.

I'm laughing too because from what I have been reading here and on other forums, Mobil-1 works great... and that the Militech stuff is the same stuff as their Automotive product, just marketed in a smaller bottle "weapons grade" at a substantially higher price.

Life couldn't be THAT simple now, could it?

You have to be a glutton for punishment to get involved in the oil and caliber wars ;)

As long as you don't subject your firearm to temps greater than 400*F, Mobil 1 won't break down or evaporate. It's also good down to -62*F. (0W30)

TETRA Grease

Great stuff, I have it on my Nova when duck hunting in freezeing weather and then on the dove fields when it is over 110, its great stuff.

Back