Need a Line on a Custom Barrel Maker

I need to have a barrel made for a BRNO ZKK 601 in .308 and am looking for a barrel maker who would undertake the project. Any help would be appreciated. Here's the specs:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
* Stainless Steel
* Preferably fluted for weight and strength considerations
* Must be turned from larger stock so as to provide a forward scope mount (lug) on the barrel.
* Preferable hammer forged. </UL>
Thanks-
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited March 04, 2000).]

Rich here are a couple I have used and been pleased with in the past. Not the best known perhaps but quality barrels at excellent prices.

The Montana Rifleman at (406) 755-4867 located in well.......er.....Montana. ;)

Clarke Arms at (505) 445-4400 located in New Mexico.
I have never had Clarke turn and finish a barrel for me but have used many of their barrels purchased as unturned "blanks" and been very happy with them. Their prices are, as they say, too low to publish. :)

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

That's a tall order Boss. Hammer forged? I don't know of any small shops that have a hammer forging machine. Those things are a major investment and just pouring the concrete for a stable foundation (4 feet) costs a fortune.

Rich I don't think you are going to be happy with a hammer forged barrel that some one contours to your rifle. Because of stresses created during hammering you will have no idea what direction it will move when turned. I would try one of Gary Schniders buttoned barrels. He has a hydraulic tracer lathe so he can duplicate your barrel exactly and the button barrel is superior to the HF barrels. Just my opinion!

Thanks guys.
Gale-
Help. I thought the hammer forging process was a button barrel? Can you explain?

I talked to Schneider on Thursday. He's not interested in the project as he feels he'd have to charge me too much....then again, he never asked what I was willing to pay.
Rich

A hammer forged barrel is a barrel made from a billet of steel 2 inches in diameter about a foot long . an insert is placed in the .hole and the barrel is placed in the hammer. Hydraulic pressure runs a series of hammers that pound the barrel down around the mandrel and needs it longer as it pounds it to contour. The other type hammer starts with a barrel length blank and pounds the hole closed around the mandrel. A buttoned barrel starts with a reamed blank and a carbide football shaped button that is 003 of an inch bigger than the reamed hole so that as it is pulled through the blank it makes the groove bigger and the rifling remains the size of the reamed blank/ A button barrel is the most diamentionly stabile barrel that can be made.

Rick:

Check Douglas, located at Cross Lanes, W.VA, near Charleston. If he is still there, talk with Tim Gardener, he used to run their shop, and was always very helpfull. I have had several of their premiuum air gage barrels on course guns, and they all worked quite well.

Douglas were button rifle people, though I can't recall if they poushed or pulled the button. They did stress relieve, as I recall, twice during making of a barrel. They didn't blue or mount sight bases, just made, and fitted barrels, either chrome moly or stainless steel, whichever the customer wanted. They also sold barrels to lots of gun smiths.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Back