need a GOOD gunsmith

yotesmoker

Picked up a witness 40 s&w with the older small frame.Its ported and has low recoil vs most 40's.Problem is it shoots 8" low and 6 to 7 " to the left and thats at 10 yards.I really need a good smith to make a rear sight from scratch or find one that can be fitted in the frame.Cant seem to find any smiths who want to do the job.The front sight is part of the slide and low enough so cant file it down.Can anyone name a smith to contact to do he job.Wont list the ones I tried list too long.

Yeah, that's commonly recoil-disguised trigger yank territory. The way to check it is to shoot both on and off bags to see if the point of impact changes. Then switch shooting hands and see if that sends it the other way. If that doesn't get it nearer to the center, have someone else shoot it and see if that person's shots go where yours do.

Shooting off a machine rest or having someone else try would be a good idea before doing anything drastic/costly.

Jim

I don't know how you use a rest, but some folks rest the gun directly on the bag or block, which destroys accuracy. For best results, hold the gun in two hands, and rest the wrists on the sandbags. Make sure no part of the gun contacts the bench or the sandbag rest.

Jim

Back