Need a Good 38spl Defense Load for My Wife

• Thread starter Thread starter faiello5
  • Start date Start date
F

faiello5

Hi all. Bought my wife a used 38sp/357mag 2" snubbie for Xmas and finally got her and it out to the range a couple of days ago. Had her shoot some LRN 38sp and some 38sp +P Gold Dots. The 38s were fine but the +P GDs were too much for her. She wouldn't even try the 357mag rounds that I brought:)

Can you suggest a good 38spl defensive load for the 2" snubbie that is not +P and is in the lower grain weight range? Thank in advance.

Regards,
Frank

I concur on the 125 Nyclads...

The Federal Personal Defense 110 Hydrashocks are crud. One possibility, see if she can handle the CorBon 110+Ps...they may be light enough to work for her.

Damn, I wish that 124grain Expanding FMJ from their 9mm was loaded in .38spl. Even at around 850fps from a snub, we know it would at least expand 100% of the time.

Jim

The Md DOC Duty load is the 110 gr Silvertip +P. Chosen for effect, it's a light recoiling load.

Another choice, no longer popular, but one the NRA found long ago to be quite effective, and very easy to control, is a target wadcutter. The pure lead upsets easily, and the square shoulder cuts penetration and aids energy transfer.

She might be a candidate for Glasers, BeeSafes or Mag Safe ammo! They are all very efective and low recoiling, however they are a littl pricey! Isn't she worth it though?? That's what my wife carried in her 638 S&W until she got out to shoot enough to understand how to control the recoil better.

Silvertips and Practise.

Frank,

I second (third, fourth?) the recommendation for Silvertips. My wife uses them in her M640 while I use 158gr+P LSWCHPs. I do use Silvertips in my G19 since they are the most accurate load I have found. I just got a Charter Arms Undercover .38 and plan on using Silvertips there.

I would encourage your wife to practise regularly, at least once or twice a month, and try to gradually build her up to a heavier load. The 158gr+P load I mentioned above has about the best reputation in the .38Spl loads that I have seen, and if she can get to a point where she feels comfortable with this load it should do well for he.

Frosty
MOLON LABE

I'll fourth the 125 gr Nyclads, 2nd the recommendation against the Fed PD's (I don't like those in any caliber, tho), and 2nd FPrice on gradually increasing the load. My wife has worked up to 158 gr +P SWCHP Nyclads in her SP101. I am trying to ease her into 110 gr 357's, tho she says she is more bothered by the "flames and noise" than the recoil, and may have reached her limit.

You might want to consider a nice 158 grain LWC. There's nothing wrong with Federal American Eagle.

Even I recommend the Nyclads.....but my wife's S&W M38 is stoked with something special (but slow)....it's a recoil thing.

Perhaps you should purchase a whole bunch of wadcutters and let her shoot those until she feels comfortable and confident. Then maybe, she will be ready to step up to something a little hotter. Besides, there are worse defensive loads than a .38 wadcutter.

Hello. As others have noted, the Federal Nyclad std pressure 125 gr HP might be just the thing. Recoil is not bad in a lightweight J-frame and it's my load of choice in my non-Plus P rated S&W airweight. It chrongraphed a surprising 886 ft/sec and expands well in the test media I've tried including a couple of armadillos.

Best.

I will add my vote to the standard pressure 125 nyclads, fact is I have a box sitting of them sitting around in case someone needs to borrow a light recoil defensive gun/ammo combo [also have a 4" 357 to shoot them in].

You might also consider trying a 1911, Glock 19, or Glock 30 I know they chambered in more powerful cartridges but they are semi autos...and the actions soak up some of the recoil.

You might also try having her shoot a 22rf to start with...would make shooting more enjoyable. And a snub nosed revolver is not the easiest gun to master.

I like the federal hydra-shok 110 grain. An FBI agent who is a member of our shooting club recommends them, based on the bureau's testing. I tried them and they seem brisk. At about 1000fps with their scoop like hollow point they should be pretty effective. They shoot very accurately out of my 2" model 36 cheifs special.

I would advise you get some light waddcutters for practice and build confidence this way. I load 3.2 grains of titegroup with a 158 LSWC this is a bit less recoil than the hydra-shoks, but shoots well. 148 LWC with 2.7 gr of bullseye give ligh recoil and is the classic bullseye load .

Back