Need a basic AK primer

Karanas

I don't have one.
I'm not really planning on getting one.
I like my AR's and I don't see any advantage in complicating my basic ammo requirements. But I do find myself occasionally intrigued by them at those illegal arms bazaars,... I mean gun shows.
I know the difference between an AK-47 and an AK-74, I'm not sure what an AKM is though.
I know that they're produced by a number of different countries, China , Romania, Egypt, Hungary, etc., etc..
Is there a particular country of origin that produces a better made model than the others?
Are parts and accessories interchangeable between the different "nationalities", or are there minute differences in tolerances that would cause problems?
Any info would be helpful. Thanks

The AKM is the "modernized" version, having been modernized in, I believe, the 50's. This is usually the one you think of when someone says, "AK-47."

Yes, each country seemed to make minute changes to parts when they produced AK's. This is usually something that a good AK smith can overcome with some minor machine work. Mike Prewitt (akguru@yahoo.com) can mix and match some parts if that's what you want.

Next to original Kalashnikovs made at Izhmesh, the Hungarian copies are supposed to be the best. The Chinese are good, but have a super thin finish (bluing). Egyptian Maadi's tend to be very rough. Romanian AKM's and AK-74's seem to be spotty on quality, but all have a thick black finish.

As far as I know, only Romania imports AK-74's; the others import the AKM.

The AK47 was suppose to be a stamp receiver firearm, but the Russians initially couldn't get the technology quite right and resorted to using old fashion (yay) milling machines to make the AK47 receiver.

Later, when they understood stamping fabrication better, they updated the AK design to use a stamped metal receiver. Besides being faster and cheaper (cost) to fabricate, it also resulted in a lighter firearm for the soldier. This stamped version became known as the AKM. Another feature of the AKM was a rate reducer which reduced the full auto fire to a more practical level (irrelevant to us).

As to the types being imported, I think the milled steel receiver version of the AK47, the (Chi-com made) Polytech Legend, is among the best. The most true to form which replicates the AKM as issued by the Soviet Army was the Egyptian Maadi. About 2000 were imported by Steyr back in the '80s and they cost over $1k each. (New Maadis are imported but won't have some of the same features as the originals).

Go to http://www.ak-47.net for more info.

Thanks Photoman for the address correction.
------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

[This message has been edited by 4V50 Gary (edited December 27, 1999).]

Back