Need .22 rifle + scope advice please

bhh

Inactive
I'm looking to put myself together a little close range varmit elimination package in the form of what I would imagine to be a .22 caliber rifle. Requirements are that it be just powerful enough to kill squirrel and rabbits with a well placed shot, accurate to within a quarter's diameter at 40-50 yards (I'd prefer some type of adjustable scope) and quiet (suppressed?). Even though most .22 rifles are relatively quiet I believe the sound would still stir the neighbors a bit, and I'd like to try to avoid that.

So I've come here for help. For now I just need advice on what type of .22 and scope to look for. It need not be anything fancy or expensive, just good enough to get the job done. Just looking further into the suppressor issue now but it would need to be capable of having a suppressor mounted later when all the paperwork is done and it finally arrives. Anyone have a suggestion for a good model .22 rifle and scope I should look for?

I'm all ears. Thanks.

Welcome to TLF !

A semi-auto will get more unspooked game, because the only thing that needs to be manipulated is the trigger.

The Ruger 10/22 is the Gold Standard, and has a multitude of aftermarket accuracy parts/upgrades available should you or the rifle you buy require any.

I've never had need of a scope over 4x, and I prefer Leupold Compact RF scopes - but YMMV.

I have a 3-9x40 on one of my 10/22's and I can head shot squirrels @ 50 yards no prob with cheap brick ammo. I had a 4-16 on one for a while but it was way overkill until past 100 yards.

If you're talkin 25 yards anything much over 4 power will be excessive.

On the bottom end( $100? ) BSA sweet 22 is more than adequate, but it's ballistic match turrets are a bit of a gimmick. They work but take time to dial in with the right ammo.

Both Leupold and Nikon rimfire scopes are excellent. $150-300

I had to return a Cabela's Rimfire scope because the crosshairs would not adjust.

Boomer

Last edited:
I like my savage MK2F. $200 or less. I put a Simmons 4x12 on it for $60.
At 50 yards I can get good groups around the size of a squirrel head.
Marlins, Rugers, and the like are all nice too. You will pay more for a ruger though.

My suggestion is the Marlin 60. Not as many after market doodads and widgets as the 10/22 but it is typically more accurate out of the box and it just doesn't need the aftermarket stuff really. It's a solid hunting rifle as-is.

That being said- if you plan on wanting to modify it down the road the 10/22 has more things available. Think of it as the Honda Civic of the .22 world. Nothing special out of the box, but every part you can think of is available on the after market. You may actually be able to build a 10/22 without using any Ruger parts. And while some people slap a heavy bbl and scope on them and call them bench rifles, people that know what they're doing can really get great performance out of them, but not cheaply.

Since you're thinking of a suppressor, look at the Savage bolt actions that come with threaded barrels.
For the scope, if shooting is to be done during daylight hours, the Weaver and Nikon rimfire models are good. For use in darker conditions, a Hawke with a 50mm objective, side focus, and illuminated reticle.

I like my remington 597. Semi auto, and 30 round magazines are available for it. If your only shooting 40-50 yards a cheap bushnell scope from Walmart would be just fine. As for you wanting it to be quiet, that's simple.... Use subsonic ammo and you will be amazed. My BB gun makes more noise than subsonic .22 ammo. I use subsonic at night sometimes when shooting rabbits to keep from spooking game that is on the other food plots. The only issue you might have with that ammo would be it not ejecting from a semi auto, but then again think " one shot, one kill".

OP for 40-50 yards get a semi auto or bolt action 22LR rifle of your choice. Get a Walmart Centerpoint 3-9x32 illuminated reticle scope and sub sonic ammo. Sight your rifle in at 50yards and enjoy. I have a ruger 10/22 setup the way that I just mentioned at Armadillos don't stand a chance and my neighbors never hear the shot.

Like TMW said - I love my Mark II Savage. Before the "bamanation" set in I could get sub sonic 60 grain ammo (Aguila). I don't have a suppressor, but I was getting sub 1" groups at 50 yards off a bench. No clue if this ammo would cycle through a semi, but it was quieter than standard 40 grain LR. Did a nice job on close range groundhogs.

Like TMW said - I love my Mark II Savage. Before the "bamanation" set in I could get sub sonic 60 grain ammo (Aguila). I don'thavea suppressor, but I was getting sub 1" groups at 50 yards off a bench. No clue if this ammo would cycle through a semi, but it was quieter than standard 40 grain LR. Did a nice job on close range groundhogs.

Yes Aguila SSS( Sniper sub sonic ). Basically a 22 short case with a big 60 grain bullet. 950 fps/ 120 ft-lbs of energy. This round has excellent terminal performance and has functioned flawlessly in both my 10/22's and marlin model 60's. Accuracy is acceptable out to 50 or 75 yards with common 22 rifling twist rates, but a 1in6 to 1in8 twist will get you 100+ yard accuracy.

I get 860-880 fps out of my 9" barreled Ruger single six convertible.

Boomer

I might look at the Savage FVSR, bolt action, heavy barrel... Its sweet. The barrel is threaded I think?
I was looking into them a while ago. My local Gander Mtn had them for about $300

Here is mine

let me know if you cant see it

0910131040.jpg

Its a Tacsol (ruger 10/22 clone)

Its suppressed.

The scope is a Leopold and I have a custom dial set up for the load I use (Eley Subsonic HP) With a range finder I am deadly on squirrels out to 130 yrds

To be quiet (even with a suppressor) you have to stay subsonic. The sonic crack while not super loud is a give away that a shot was fired.

Rifle http://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/complete-rifles
Barrel http://www.tacticalsol.com/tshome/c...rifle-accessories/ruger-rifle-barrel-upgrades
Scope http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoo...ht-riflescopes/vx-2-rimfire-3-9x33mm-efr-cds/
Suppressor http://www.advanced-armament.com/ELEMENT2_p_437.html
Ammo http://www.eley.co.uk/en/ammunition/subsonic-hollow/

Last edited:

The Ruger 10/22 is the work horse of the .22 world, but triggers are awful these days, and a tuning one up to the max will cost as much or more than another rifle.

+1 to the post about the threaded Savages. If a suppressor is not really in your future, the Savage rifles with the Accu-trigger will render good breaks out of the box, but it is about $100 bucks on top of the same model w/o that option.

I'm a Leupold guy for scopes, Burris after that. The Rimfire Scopes from Leupold, intended for .22's, have the parallax set closer than the center fire models, which is a plus in close where .22's are normally shot. Some say the Rimfire crosshairs are a tad too fine, I may agree with that now, but not when I bought mine.

A full size scope looks clunky on the carbine length 10/22's, the Rimfire Specials are sized accordingly. The 2-7x model has given me great service, with enough x power over a 4x to be useful on really small targets. But the fixed 4x Rimfire is plenty for most work.

I would get a Marlin 60 and put a 3X9 scope on it. I have one and it is the most affordable option and it is accurate.

I cant recommend the Savage enough. Sniper precision accuracy. Trigger is as good as you could ever want. I can take out 6 squirrels in a row before they even know whats going on. I have also taken out a few grey foxes. I like Eley sub sonic HP for squirrels and hyper velocity for fox size game. I can reach out to 150 yards.

This is my killing machine...
Savage BSEV with Nikon P22 glass.
When you absolutely positively have to take a head shot, this is your rifle.

I use a Ruger 10/22 with a Vortex Strikefire red dot and subsonic ammo. If most of your ranges are of the closer nature, this set up will work just fine. Fast target acquirement and quiet.

Subsonic .22 ammo is the bee's knees for this job. There are various types out there. I have played with a bunch of different ammos and depending on the particular rifle sample, one may stand out as being most quiet and accurate; although I have found that these two factors do not always go hand in hand. One factor that can make a noticeable difference in sound is the barrel length. Longer the barrel, quieter the shot.

We had a large overpopulation of squirrels one year. I considered getting a suppressor, ended up with the above set up and my house became once again my home; as opposed to being occupied by a bunch of squirrels in my roof!

Of note: CB/short/subsonic ammo does tend to drop rather quickly. If you are going to take any longer shots with this type of ammo, it really pays to practice at varying distances to learn just how fast it does drop. And I used tin cans to see at what point each type of ammo failed to penetrate one or both sides of the can at varying distances.

I have used this type of ammo in bolt .22s also. Nice to be able to just rack the bolt and have the empty come out. With the semi-auto it is the same function, just not quite as "pretty"; easiest to turn the rifle 90 degrees so that the ejection port is facing the ground and then to work the action open - empty case falls - turn the rifle back to upright -then allow the bolt to move forward - chambering the next round.

just got a Ruger 10/22 td - so am interested in the replies.

Saw a utube video on 22 ammo selectrions for 10/22 - guy used 10 different ammos - best ones -CCI minimags, cci art tactical,Rem thunderbolt, Win 333 bx.
Also saw a thread suggesting use of rim thickness guage for 22 cal- idea being that variations in case will cause the "flyers". so pick through the supply and choose closest ones for target time.

After researching every suggestion that's been given to me here and other places on the web first of all I can't say thanks enough, and secondly, I've decided to go with the Savage Mark II FV-SR paired with a suppressor. So far scope of choice is the Simmons .22mag 3-9x32 w AO.

So yes, now on to the suppressor. Suggestions so far have been for the Silencerco 22Sparrow that I believe I've seen for around $200, and the AAC Pilot and Pilot 2 I've seen for $300-$340. Goal is to fire as large a slug as possible (greatest momentum) out the end of a suppressed FV-SR, and the loudest noise is the action of the gun itself. So for sure I'm looking at sub-sonic. But with that in mind, can anyone give me opinions on these suppressors or possibly others in this same price range that can get this done? A secondary goal might be the ability for the suppressor to be adapted to a different caliber weapon, although being new to suppressors I'm not sure how that might work.

looking forward

For pest control, I like a turnbolt rifle with good glass. My CZ 455 Varmint with a Pentax 3x-9x Lightseeker seems to do the trick.

407386904.jpg

I have used a variety of rimfires and settled on a CZ452 (I understand that the 455 is it's successor). Reasonable cost, insanely accurate, with a $14 trigger kit an excellent trigger, and it seems to be full sized so that it handles well.

Back