Need 1100 help ....please

Tex762

Inactive
Hi folks,
I'm new here and have never owned an 1100 before.
I picked up an older 1100 Magnum today and was wondering if there is anything I can do to make it cycle 2 3/4 field loads. The O ring, piston and all look ok. There is a little wear on the mag tube but not bad. I've heard of drilling out the gas port some but thought it better to ask. Would I be better off to buy a new bbl just for the lighter loads or am I missing something here? Oh, bbl is marked "12 Ga Magnum for 3 inch shells".

Many Thanks

I was shooting just today and a guy had the same complaint regarding his. That isn't any great help. You might try the "ask the expert" section of the Remington website. Replys generally take three to four days.

First thing to do, probably, is to give it a good cleaning, if it has been well used. Use a good solvent and bronze brush (only) in barrel. NO steel brushes! Use pipe cleaners and solvent to clean out gasport.

Strip it as far as you dare and then blast it out with Gun Scrubber or automotive brake cleaner. Don't forget to re-lube. I like Rem Oil and spray it fairly freely on guns that are not kept loaded. I work on the presumption that it will kill primers, in due time.

Don't forget to scrub the magazine tube, inside as you do the barrel, and outside, to remove the carbon deposits. Re-lube lightly.

Don't drill out the gas port--you can ruin your gun for 3" mag and 2-3/4" as well.

I've had 1100s for nearly 30 years, but have never owned a 3" mag. I really don't know if they're supposed to be able to shoot 2-3/4" light loads. Heavy loads, I'd think, should work.

SOMEONE CHIME IN, HERE!

We ought to get some response from SOMEBODY.

Best of luck--
Johnny

Tex, as I understand it,3" bbls are for 3" shells, and will not cycle the shorter stuff. They're safe to shoot, if you do not mind hand cycling them.

A 2 3/4" bbl would be the only cure, luckily they're common and not terribly expensive.Do not drill out anything,unless your name is Stan Baker.

NOTE:

The obverse is not true. One cannot turn a 2 3/4" 1100 into a magnum by buying a bbl.

And since you say this is an older 1100, I recommmend that you replace the rings and springs, just in case. With care, that 1100 can be shot a lot and still outlive all of us...

Dave, I found one exception on the spare barrel list on Remington's site. You can put a 'Steel Shot Magnum" bbl. on a non-magnum receiver if you stick to 3" steel and avoid 3" lead loads. Of course, the extra barrel costs almost as much (MSRP=$224) as my Walmart Special did.

Here's the quote, from the notes at the end of the 1100 bbl. list:

"*NOTE: Model 1100 Steel Shot Barrels are designed for use with 2-3/4" or 3" Magnum steel or lead shot shells when used on Magnum receivers and 2-3/4" or 3" Magnum steel or 2-3/4" lead shotshells when used on non-Magnum receivers."

John

Thanks, John, I don't mind being corrected about this.

At the same time, tho, I can see the utility of setting up an 1100 with a Mag bbl and a shorter, 2 3/4" bbl.Something about 24" and Remchoked would be a real jewel in an 1100 for upland game, and clays.

We get too involved sometimes in the "One gun can do it all" syndrome.Ideally,we'd use two 12 gauges, one 8 lbs or more) for heavy loads and birds and balanced a little muzzle heavy. And,a 12 gauge a good lb lighter for upland work,a bit shorter, and with neutral balance. We can do it with one, after all that was the premise behind Frankenstein. But, I'm the first to admit it's a bit heavy for upland tho it swings very well, and with the 3" steel loads it kicks enough to let me know I'm sending a big load out there.IMO, the average shooter would be better off with two shotguns here. Most folks make one work, tho, and that's to their credit.

But I digress....

Thanks guys......
I think I'll get another bbl for 2 3/4 also and try that. Does anyone know if the return spring is different in the Magnum? Will I have to change this out also?

I'm going to keep an eye on Wally World for the 1100 synthetic too! :)

1100 Magnum eats well

Back from the range......
1100 Magnum gobbled up everything I put through it.
Any and all high brass 2 3/4 from several makers.
Only problem is the field loads......I'll swap bbls and possibley return springs for this stuff.
Thanks

The action spring is the same for all 1100's. The only way to make a magnum work with light field loads is to change the barrel. There are two gas ports in the non-magnum barrels.

Yeah, I'm kind of curious about the possibility of 3" barrels on an 1100. I'm going to get one of the 1100 Wal-Mart synthetics, and I wondered about putting on another barrel for duck and turkey hunting, where I'd prefer 3" loads.

Would one of the steel shot barrels work on the 1100 synthetic to allow 3" loads? Do these newer guns have the magnum receiver?

Back