Neck Turning

Snipe

Hello guys,

I have recently have purchased a 21st Century lathe. I am getting mixed steps on when I should turn my 6.5 creedmoor necks. I think I should be resize new brass with a standard die not redding s bushing die, expand the necks with the mandrel, trim, turn, and resize with redding bushing die. Would you agree with these steps?

Thanks,
Peyton

hounddawg thank you. That was the reinsurance I need it. So what I read looks like I am on the correct path.

Thanks again
Peyton

I think you have the steps. You can do the initial FL Size with any FL Sizing die as long as it bumps the shoulder right and leaves the neck ID smaller than the expander so the expander irons it out to the right size for the mandral.

The only other thing I see is you will likely need a different bushing after to get your neck tension right.

I full length size with a Redding body die, then neck size with a Lee collet neck die, then turn the necks, then trim,chamfer, and deburr. Then run them through the neck sizing die again to reassure concentricity.

Sierra Bullets proved in the late 1950's that full length sizing die's expander bends case necks. If the full length sizing die's neck is honed out to a couple thousandths less than the loaded round neck diameter, resized case necks are much straighter on case shoulders because there's no expander ball to bend them. Rimless bottleneck cases are driven into the chamber shoulder centering it there before the primer fires.

This led die companies to make full length bushing dies so users could use the bushing size best for their cases. Forster hones their dies to customers specs for about 12 dollars.

Keep an eye on Ebay for a pin micrometer.

I found a nice Starrett there a few years ago for only a fraction of the price of a new one.

One thing to double and even triple check is to make sure the necks are the all the same length since the case mouth acts as a stop to prevent cutting too far into the shoulder

One thing to double and even triple check is to make sure the necks are the all the same length since the case mouth acts as a stop to prevent cutting too far into the shoulder
What's a good gauge that measures neck length?

What's the reference it's measured from?

Last edited:
Back