Neat idea for 5.7x28

Stiletto

So...if it's so lightweight and low-recoil, why doesn't someone make a larger, assault carbine-sized variant with an amped-up fire rate (25 or 30 rounds/sec or so), kind of like an American-180 with a more powerful round?

Certainly seems like an ideal weapon for really close-range urban warfare.

I mean using it as a primary weapon for urban infantry to use in place of rifle-caliber carbines. Something the weight of an M4 firing 5.7 would have a very high controllable fire rate, and could feed from a huge magazine (100 rounds? more?) to boot without incurring a massive weight penalty.

I dunno, just an idea.

The 5.7 was designed as a close range package (in conjunction w/ the P90). It doesn't have the lethal reach of a MBR or even an assault rifle. The M4 can even outdistance it.
Another problem would be the logistics of supplying two distinct firing platforms and the associated training of said separate platforms.

^^^

True, that. Just an idea.

They could always mix weapons, give part of the squad full-length M-16s and the CQB guys mini-MGs.

Oh my god! You've reinvented the PPsh! :D

You'd be amazed how similar the 5.7x28 is to the 7.62x25 in aveall close range ballistics.

s_burpgun.jpg

http://www.a-human-right.com/RKBA/ppsh.html

^^^

Heh.

Less kick to the SS190, though, by A LOT. You can't put an entire magazine on a silhouette target in one long burst with a PPSh; you can with a P90. ;)

Back