NE1 *store* their AR-15 in a lockable hard case?

Hi all, frequent reader, first time poster here. I am well versed on the different types of hard and soft cases out there; I have pretty much decided on getting a lockable hard case, probably a Starlight (after MUCH research!)

What I want to know is if anybody actually STORES their rifle in such a hard case (any brand, with either open-cell or closed-cell foam) and their results; i.e. rust, no rust, problems, no problems, etc. The maker of the Starlight says that since the case is waterproof and airtight, that moisture will not be a problem - although he did recommend throwing a couple of Desi-paks just in case. Does this sound about right? (Incidentally, Brack Wilson at Starlight is a VERY friendly and helpful gent)

These are the reasons I am considering the Starlight 1) under $200, 2) lockable from curious fingertips, (both big and small) 3) firearm protection during AND after transport (i.e. storage) 4) lifetime warranty / reputable vendor

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance for replying!
-g.i.m.s.

I've read in several places that gun cases are not great places to store your rifle. Even if it is waterproof, that doesn't exclude the moisture that gets in through the air when the case is open. Maybe the Desi-paks will work, I don't know, but it seems that the lack of circulation would hamper their effectiveness, and a watertight case will lock IN any moisture that gets in.

I usually leave my cases open for a day or two after bringing them back in to a climate-controlled environment, so they can dry out from any moisture picked up from outside.

Also, I've noticed that the foam in my cases tends to soak up whatever I've put on the metal parts of the rifle -- even Breakfree CLP. When I take them out, I can see the pattern of the foam ridges where the high points of the foam have "dried out" the metal.

You can buy cheap gun cabinets at Walmart that will protect from curious fingers without breaking the bank. Won't stop a determined thief, but then, neither will a gun case;)

For nearly ten years I've been storing all of my guns (handguns and long guns) in vapor-inhibiting bags, and in gun cases. I used Bianchi Blue bags until they stopped making them, and now use the ones from Kleen Bore. I've never had a problem, ever. I did leave one shotgun in the case but not in vapor bag, and it got some surface rust after a couple of months.

No grease, no special coatings---just pull them out of the bags and they're ready to shoot.

That doesn't mean that my search for a good gun safe has ended, though.

I used to store my HK91 in a locking hardcase until I got my gunsafe. I just made sure to take the rifle out and wipe it down with a CLP rag every couple of weeks.

Wipe down with corrosion inhibitor and inspect every couple of months or so if storing in a case. Free standing in a safe with circulation around them probably a lot safer for long term storage.

Model 57, .42 Mag, stored in factory presentation case for bout twenty five years. Foam and lube interacted and massive corrosion.

Husqvarna presentation grade shotgun. Contingency prize, left in shipping/display case with rest of prize stuff for bout twenty years. Metal corrosion unbelivable, looked like Civil War relic dug out of farm field.

Sam

Back