ND with Estate Tactical 00 Buck

LIProgun

I have gotten word of a negligent discharge of a round of Estate Tactical 00 Buck and thought the group here would be interested in the performance on building materials.

Details are still a little sketchy, and I have not examined the site yet. The incident happened in a ground floor apartment of an old (circa 100 year-old) building. It appears that the muzzle was on a slight angle off perpendicular to the ceiling when the shot discharged. It traveled about five feet until it penetrated the ceiling, which is apparently a single layer of drywall, leaving about a 1.5 inch diameter hole.

After that, it penetrated a single layer of what is likely hardwood about 3/4 to 1-inch thick. From there, it passed through several of inches of open space, where it seems to have impacted -- but not penetrated -- a second layer of wood (subflooring?), and changed course to follow that layer more or less horizontally (based on the indentations and pellet tracks).

There appears to have been no penetration into the floor above.

The wad has not yet been located.

The good news is nobody was hurt. The person involved is shaken and in for a serious chewing out. (By my calculation, at least FOUR rules of gun safety were violated, and by a person who knows better.)

The reduced velocity of the Estate load doubtless helped keep the load from blowing through the floor of the room above.

If I get more info on the incident I'll follow-up here.

Thanks, I appreciate the details. P{lease post anyhting that turns up. With all the discuaaion this BB has had on this in the past, I know it'll see lots of interest.

Is the room above the point of impact a bathroom? With a house that age I doubt any buck from any load would penetrate the subfloor which is probably 2" rough cut (so it is 2" thick) oak plank (I have seen this stuff seasoned so hard it has to be drilled to take a NAIL.) laid at a 45 degree angle to the finish floor (often 3/4" tounge and groove maple or oak.) If the plank wood has dried a great deal there could be gaps large enough to pass buck between the boards. The 3/4" or 1" intermediate boards may have been plank layed edgewise and sealed with tar or tarpaper and were used for concrete floors on second stories (usually bathrooms.)

So far, no more details. However, the room above is almost certainly not a bathroom. There is a *chance* that directly above the point of impact is an internal wall separating two rooms. I suspect Lonnie is on the right track, i.e., that the hardwood subfloor above is *very* hard and seasoned.

We own a building of comparable age with wood flooring and Lonnie is right about the description. Actually, the whole place has close to two inches of wood flooring, done in three layers that are not parallel. I seriously doubt a direct shot would have penetrated it, much less one deferred slightly by other materials.

So, the ammo discharged or was it the gun or does anyone know? I have heard of some shotgun ammos discharging due to significant temperature changes, going from inside a warm truck to being at the duck stand and the gun firing with the hammer never dropping and the safety on. Apparently, that is caused by some sort of thermal explansion/contraction due to temperature change causing pressure on the primer, hence firing.

Double Naught, thanks for the info. And to be clear, this was a NEGLIGENT discharge. As I said, "at least FOUR rules of gun safety were violated" causing the discharge. There is absolutely no question of mechanical error or an ammo problem, AFAIK.

Back