NC members

jrsower

Am I correct in that there's no minimum caliber to hunt deer with in NC? The regs say no shotgun larger than 10 gauge and give some restrictions on pistol caliber and barrell length but almost nothing on rifles.

jr

I just went through the North Carolina Regulations Digest and could find nothing other than the restrictions you mention. It would appear that you are correct. But have a concern for the animal. Trying to bring down a whitetail with a .22 LR is just plain cruel...

:D

Dunno, but some of the old boys at the range

claim to have successfully killed whitetail by creaping up on 'em and shooting them in the ear.

I've seen some of these guys shoot, and I don't doubt they could do it. Don't know if they have or not.

-J.

not that I can confirm

My hunting buddy shot several deer with a 22 magnum rifle , hunting from a tree stand; he did head shots through the ear, always a one-shot kill. This was before we were allowed to use center-fire rifles, as per club lease rules, not state rules. He is always careful to stay legal.
The minimum handgun is a .357 magnum with a 5.5 in. bbl., as I read the regulations. I use a .45 Colt.

Back