NC bear rounds

fed168

My brother in law is talking about going for bear in eastern North Carolina.
We have black bear in the state, and I am curious what would be acceptable for hunting them. I see them as dangerous game, and the minimum caliber to use would be a .338. Can I upload a .30-06 for the task? On that note, our department had to put one down, and it was taken with an HK 53, in .223.
NC bears tend to be in the 150-400 lb range, I think.

No need to try to boost the '06. Any decent hunting bullet in factory specs suitable for deer/elk - 165-200 grain range - should serve your BIL good enough. I'd tend to use 180-200 myself.

My grandfather, before his death, hunted bear in eastern and western NC....he always used a .30-.30 with 150 grain bullets...never had a problem dropping them.

A .30-.06 is plenty for NC black bears.

I shot one here in upstate ny in 82 with a 44 mag lever gun and another in 84 with a 264 win mag. both were under 85 yards and were one shot kills. your 30/06 with a bullet larger than 150 grains will do ok. just remember ...SHOT PLACEMENT !!!!

I concur (and agree as well...)

......the black bears we got here in Arkansas are really wimpy......a 400 pounder would be a monster.....any of the calibers listed in this thread will work.....and as big animal said..shot placement is Important.

Back