Navy Seal Rifle?

Rob Pincus

I have a good friend, a college buddy, who is currently with ST4. He is serving as a sniper. He knows my passion for firearms (mostly, becuase I was his first "instructor" when he bought his first pistol) and we've spoken at length about his gear.
Recently, I was told by a non-associated party that the teams have acquired a new weapon manufactured by a "no-name" company for use as a mid-level sniper platform (300 win mag/7mm rem mag or something like that). My buddy never mentioned any "no-name" rifles and his wife said not to expect to hear from him soon, so I am wondering if any of you guys know anything about this?
(I'm mostly checking to see how on the level this source is...)

rob, you see me alot on the pistol threads, but I consider myself a rifleman first.

I don't know what the current 'standard" rifle is, but they use the .308 and 300 WM
built by Mike Lau from time to time on the west coast. It's a Remington with a A2 stock. I don't know if it is for evaluation or full service at this time. The only gov. related people that I know of that regularly use the 7 mm right now are the Secret Service shooters.

I'll try to find out about the other one from a TEAMS contact.

[This message has been edited by DAVID (edited 12-18-98).]

Okay, that rifle is still a Remington, the rifle I was told about doesn't use any "big-name" factory parts, from my impression.

Thanks.

I am aware of the Indiana connection, but was not aware that they were manufacturing a rifle there.

*****edit #1******

I saw the rifles in question today, my source was not 100%. The rifle is based on a Remington longslide. Navy has purchased "over 300" of the .308s but will be switching to .300 win mag with the next order. I know they have been experimenting with 300 win mag for awhile now.
These rifles are made by a company called RAD Manufacturing (or something close...), they weigh under 15 pounds. They will offer 100-125 rifles to civilians next year, retail will be about $5700. The civilian rifles have an extra 1.5 inch long barrel in .308.

Apparently a SEAL won some sniping world championship with one of these rifles last year.

I'll post more details sometime soon.
(btw- the guns are built in Arkansas)

------------------
-Essayons

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited 12-20-98).]

Back