Navy arms ridgefield nj

luna83

Inactive
I recently was given a navy arms ride field nj black powder only caliber 44 revolver. I am looking for info on it . It has a stamp I can't seem to find any info on it . Need to find out model

My Navy Arms has a Uberti stamp under the loading leaver.
there is also the date stamp on the frame.
Yes pictures are always interesting.

luna83

Since it's your first post, I would add.....try to get your photos to show all markngs with adequate light, so they will be readable. It's not that easy sometimes. :)

Howdy

Ridgefield New Jersey was the original location of the office of Navy Arms. Navy Arms was an importer, not a manufacturer. Val Forgett II started Navy Arms in the same location he was already occupying with his Service Arms business. Around 1959 or so he contracted with Uberti of Brescia, Italy to begin producing Cap & Ball revolvers. That was the beginning of the replica arms business in the USA.

Here is a photo of the brass framed, 44 Caliber Cap & Ball 'Navy' revolver I bought when I borrowed my Dad's car and drove down to the Navy Arms showroom in Ridgefield in 1968.

FirstPistol.jpg

This is the Uberti trademark. Uberti was the actual manufacturer of my pistol. It represents the muzzle end of an 1851 Navy revolver, the first model that Navy Arms imported.

uberti_trademark.jpg

Looks like Rigarmi to me.

Nope. That's the old Replica Arms logo. You see the same thing on the Navy Arms box along with their logo, at least I think it's still on it. Navy bought out Replica years ago. The gun in the pic is a Griswold & Gunnison except in .44 caliber. I'm no expert but I think it was probably actually made by Uberti & Gregorelli.

I'm no expert but I think it was probably actually made by Uberti & Gregorelli.

Quite possibly. Depends on when it was made. Navy Arms started out with Gregorelli & Uberti, then A. Uberti, then somewhere around the 80s-90s they sold Piettas. My 1995 Paterson is a Navy Arms Pietta.

Some clear pictures of the markings on it would help identify it.

Quite possibly. Depends on when it was made. Navy Arms started out with Gregorelli & Uberti, then A. Uberti, then somewhere around the 80s-90s they sold Piettas. My 1995 Paterson is a Navy Arms Pietta.

Yes but the logo isn't Navy Arms it's Replica Arms. Unless I'm missing something.

Sorry to be confusing Hawg.

From a post by Dr. Davis in 2007.
"Replica Arms started out in El Paso, Texas with the 1847 Walker. It was later bought out and moved to Marietta, Ohio. It was eventually bought out by Navy Arms. These will be marked Replica Arms Ridgefield NJ. During the transition period you will find both the Navy Arms name and the Replica Arms logo on the revolver. They were manufactured by Armi San Marcos, Uberti, and Pietta at different periods."

Would still like to see more pictures of the markings.

OK I gotcha. I thought the RA marked ones were most likely Uberti & Gregorelli. I knew Navy kept the RA logo on the box, didn't know they still used them on the guns.

I once had a Euroarms 1858 Remington with Navy Arms markings on the barrel. They must have used several different importers over the years.

Weird, I posted a reply several hours ago, or thought I did!

Anyhow, Hawg, you are indeed correct. Rigarmi's logo is RAG.

That sixgun is probably an Uberti or ASM, not a Euroarms and maybe an ASP.

Before Valmore Forgett, Jr. founded Navy Arms Co. to make percussion replicas, he was "Ma Hunter", dealing in both live and DEWAT automatic weapons, mostly acquired through Interarmco (as it was then). Here is something that might be of interest.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6137

"Ma Hunter" opened in late 1956, but earlier in the year, with the approach of the Civil War Centennial, Val, Bill Edwards, and Sam Cummings discussed having the 1851 Navy Colt copied, thinking it would be a neat novelty and with the Centennial hype, they might sell a few. Colt was not interested (another example of the short-sightedness of that company's management). Sam Cummings had raised the idea with Ermawerke in Germany, but their cost estimates were too high to allow a good profit, so Bill Edwards and Val took the idea to Italy, where they interested Vittorio Gregorelli, a gun parts contractor, in the project. Edwards contributed a Navy Colt he had assembled from brand new "new old stock" parts as a pattern gun.

Gregorelli made some prototypes, but was not set up for series production, so Uberti came into the picture. Uberti had been a contractor for Beretta, and the early Colt replicas were noted for their rather shallow automatic pistol rifling, instead of the deep rifling needed to stabilize lead bullets. But the replica market was off and running, with a much larger than anticipated boost from the CW Centennial. And it is still very much alive, with Navy Arms (having survived some financial problems) a major player in the reproduction gun market.

Jim

Hey thanks Everyone for the info. Here's a few more clear picture if any can help find out was this is a replica of and the makers stamp. THANKS

Attachments

Additional photos of the whole gun, from both sides; cylinder markings; and any other markings on the barrel, frame, and back strap would help.

From the pictures you have provided, it appears to be a .44 caliber Griswold & Gunnison as Hawg said in post #8. It is what is referred to as a "Fantasy Gun" or, a replica of a gun that was never made in the day. Original Griswold and Gunnisons were all made in .36 Caliber.

Back