Navy Arms... Made by Pietta?

Matt Wallis

Say, I just got my Navy Arms catalog in the mail. Turned in it to look at their 1851 Navy. That's definitely going to be my next gun purchase!:D

Anyhoo... The picture is nice and big. And much to my surprise I can clearly read on the barrel these markings: F.LLIPIETTA

What's up. I thought Navy Arms was a manufacturer? Are their 1851 Navies the same as the one's marketed by Cabelas?

Regards,
Matt Wallis

Navy Arms is an importer, not a manufacturer. My Navy Arms Schofield, for example, is made by Uberti.

Virtually all of the replica anything are made in Italy...including the Colts. Some used to come from Spain and I have an 1860 Colt replica made in Belgium. Cabela's guns are Piettas. (which means that some are better than others) You pays your money and you takes your chance.

I was at a gun show last weekend and picked up an 1851 Navy for $80.00. It's a Pietta and sight unseen I wouldn't have bought it. It's one of the good one's though and That afternoon I shot it and while it's a bit stiff I think it'll smooth out in time. It had CVA stamped on the top of the barrel, you have to look on the side to see who MFG it. It'll be a shooter and one that I'll use in re-enactment.

Well, dag-nabbit! How am I supposed to know what I'm getting when I order it?

I had considered shelling out the extra $60 to buy from Navy Arms because I thought the quality would be better than what I would get from Cabelas. But if they're the same, what's the point. The only problem is I've heard some of you say the Pietta's are crap.

This is quite frustrating. I don't have the dough for a Ruger (I'm dead set on a 51 Navy anyway).

Please Help!

Matt

There are some differences as importers can require details of fit and finish. Navy Arms and Cimmeron seem to be a tad nicer. My Navy Arms Schofield is a definite improvement over the generic Uberti, but there are no guarentees. Seeing before buying is the best way.

Cabelas revolvers are definitely of mixed quality. There is a Cabela's store in town and I visit it regularly to look through their bargain barn where a lot of used, or damaged products go when there taken off the shelf. I have on occasion seen Uberti revolvers sold in there at the regular gun prices, I even bought an Uberti 1862 pocket model from them for $95.00 which was in new condition save for a small scratch on the frame. All in all, I would definitely think twice before buying one of these guns unseen though.

Back