Navy Arms 1873 reproduction - questions

Wyoredman

Just looking for some input on a Navy Arms (Uberti) 1873 rifle in used but very good condition. The rifle is chambered in .45 Colt.

I have been offered one from an aquaintance. His asking price is $900.00.

Not knowing anything about Winchester reproductions, I would ask if those in the know considder this a fair price?

Secondly, the rifle appears to be in near mint condition, but has been fired. I noticed that there is a hole on the upper tang that is threaded for a tang site. There is not a screw in this hole. Is this normal, factory design, or was it added to the rifle? Should there be a filler screw?

Thanks for the info. I really like the looks and workmanship on this rifle, and am considdering buying my first 1873 reproduction.

Mods, maybe this should have been posted in the Cowboy Action forum. If so, please move. I may get better response from that forum. Thanks.

Do you happen to know what barrel length and style of barrel it is? Octagon, round? How many rounds through it, was it used for fun or competition?

There should not be just an open hole on the tang.

Depending on which rifle it is exactly, 900 might be a little high.

Uberti 1873s start at $1040 at Buffalo Arms, so unless it is a pretty deluxe model, he is not doing you a favor. If it is a deluxe model it might have been as much as $1300 new.

Don't agonize over a missing plug screw.

It is a longer (24"?) octogon barrel. Not to sure if it was used in any competitions, but it does have a "short throw kit" (so he says) installed. The reciever is color case hardened and there are no marks on the stock.

I am going to offer him $800.00.

Thanks for the info.

I have the Uberti model. I think it's called a "special sporting rifle". Mine has a 24 1/4" octagon barrel, Checkered pistol grip Walnut stock and it's the nicest finished gun I 've ever owned. The quality is outstanding. I bought mine new, 3 years ago for $900. Just remember that the 73 action is for cowboy loads only. It will not handle full power 45 Colt loads on a regular basis. They are really nice rifles and I wouldn't sell mine for less than 1500. YMMV

$900 seems steep for a used rifle. I saw the carbine version for sale in my local gunshop for $700 plus a bunch of 44-40 ammo. It was used but looked to be in great shape. Your friend is expecting you to pay pretty close to what the brand new price is.

Hmm, I'm not sure about the Winchester 73 not handling regular 45 Colt loads. Certainly not hot Ruger Only but I'd be willing to bet it can handle the traditional loading.

Check with the manufacturer to be safe.

Regular and cowboy loads are fine for the Uberti, thats what the are made to shoot. The Ruger only loads are just that, for use in the built like a tank Rugers only.

The price is a little high, and the action can easily handle STANDARD pressure .45 Colt loads.

That's above so-called "cowboy action loads" and below Ruger-only and/or .45 Colt +P loads.
The original guns were chambered for the .44-40 as their biggest caliber, with roughly similar pressures.
The old blackpowder loads could be pretty zippy, and today's metallurgy is superior.

$800 would probably be OK, if in great shape.
Denis

Decided against this particular gun. owner didn't want to come down on price so I chose the pass. It is definatly a gun I want on my list, though!

Back