NATO Vs Warsaw pact ammo chess set

Neat idea but unless you use out of scale "ammo" that ranges well up and beyond small arms, it would function poorly as most rifle looks quite similar-- close enough to make an involved game of chess end up as major confusion.

I like the concept but in practice, well I have reservations.

Neat idea though!

Okay, so... Not sure if you could do the whole Warsaw side in steel case, but that would eliminate the need for paint. Pawns could be 9x19 and 9x18 respectively
the kings, .50 BMG and 12.7x108
queens...
Bishops 5.56x45, 5.45x39
knights (this is where they go in a different direction) .45 ACP, 7.62x25
Rooks 7.62x51, 7.62x54r

Your idea is sound, keep in mind that each piece in the Chess set is characterized by height as well, basically the more important the piece the taller it is, this is how we can play Chess with just wooden dowels of 2 colors as the pieces, so you should choose a round that fits in with the height of the role compared to the others

The official height from tallest to shortest is King, Queen, Bishop, Knight, Rook, Pawn.

I collect Chess sets and have them from all over the world, I can tell you if it's difficult to identify the pieces, people won't want to play with the set.

Last edited:
Keep in mind also that cartridges are all top-heavy. Rifle is worse than pistol, and inert rounds are absolutely no better.

Best bet is a base for each piece, which may take away from the appearance a bit, but would work.

This would be my order:

Warsaw Pact (all steel if possible)
9mm Makarov Pawn
5.45X39 Bishop
7.62X39 Knight
Copper/brass 12G shell Rook
7.62X54R Queen
12.7X108 King

NATO
9mm Luger Pawn
5.56X45 Bishop
.30 Carbine Knight (?)
Plastic/paper 12G shell Rook
7.62X51 Queen
.50 BMG King

You could also use the 7.62X51 as the Knight and the .30-06 as Queen.

Back