National Park Service Carry laws

cloud8a

Can someone direct me to the link about carrying a handgun on National Forest land? I am going to the LBJ National Grasslands in Texas this weekend to fish. I seem to remember some recent bickering over laws passed that said one could carry. Is it a conceal deal or open or at all?

The new law concerned national PARKS, not national forests. The rule for national forests has long been that they go by the law of the state in which the forest is located.

LBJ National Grasslands has a nifty website.

The site has the following information about firearms:
Are firearms allowed?
Use, possession or transportation of firearms, bow & arrows and other arms or ammunition are allowed during designated hunting seasons. While possessing a firearm for the purpose of hunting you must have a valid state hunting license in your possession for the species you intend to hunt. The firearm possessed must be of the type legal for hunting the species that are in season. Notice: Any prohibited acts and other public hunting regulations do not in any way restrict a person having a concealed handgun license from possessing a concealed handgun, loaded or unloaded, on public hunting lands in strict accordance with the concealed handgun laws. For further information concerning firearms in Wildlife Management Areas refer to the "Prohibited Acts" found in the Texas Parks and Wildlife Public Hunting Lands Map Booklet.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/texas/faq/index.shtml#firearms

Back