Narrowing down new rifle

cchesser1990

Inactive
In the market for a new rifle. Mainly will be used for hunting deer/pigs, target shooting and smacking steel out to 300 yards or so. Budget that I've set is 1k, with which I'd like to get some nice glass too. Looking at savage, and possible tikka lite, but open to other options. Any opinions as to which caliber/setup would be best? Thanks in advance for the help.

Everything I've read about the Savage's and Tikka's has been positive so that is a great place to start. Other rifles I've used that I like are the Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 and the Remington 700 ADL. My son picked up the ADL for just over $400 out the door and it'll shoot MOA. Their new trigger, the X-Mark Pro, leaves a little to be desired in my opinion but my son likes it. I got the Weatherby for just over $500 out the door and it's an absolute tack driver. It was impressive enough that a friend saw me at the range with it and bought one a few weeks later. As for cartridges deer and pigs are not typically hard to kill and 300 yards is not an overly long distance. If you're a new hunter without much shooting experience 308 Winchester would be a good place to start.

Take a look at the T/C Venture and the Weatherby Vanguard S2. I have one of each and both are great shooters. The purchase of either should leave you about $500 for whatever glass you choose.

I have a Savage Model 16 in 6.5 Creedmoor and I love it. I really wanted a stainless steel rifle, I just like that look. I went with the 6.5 Creedmoor because of the 6.5 mm's (.264) high BC and high SD. The 6.5 Creedmoor is just an all around excellent cartridge for what you are wanting to do.

I just bought a Sako A7 for $680 (stainless, .30-06, Clearance rack at Cabela's). Very similar to the Tikka T3 Lite except more metal (steel bolt release, metal lined polymer magazine, etc.). It is hard to find any replacement parts or stocks for, but it comes exactly as I want it so I am happy with it. The Tikka is about the same price (non-clearance). Both have very similar stocks, beautifully rifled barrel (hammer forged), trim profile and well balanced, and accurate. One of the smoothest out of the box bolts too.

I had planned to get a Winchester Featherweight, but the Sako A7 is exactly what I wanted out of the Featherweight for a few hundred less.

Last edited:
243 or 308.

All the above are good choices, but my personal preference is the Winchester. If you cannot afford the upper end Wincesters and still afford a scope one of the Ultimate Shadow rifles will be less expensive than the Tikka and about the same price as the Savage. You get a lot more rifle for your money. It is the same rifle as the more expensive versions, just with a cheaper stock. No different than the cheap stock on the Tikka and Savage really, and you can upgrade the stock later if you wish.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535114

2nd choice is the Ruger Hawkeye.

I had planned to get a Winchester Featherweight, but the Sako A7 is exactly what I wanted out of the Featherweight for a few hundred less.

You paid $680 for a Sako, a Featherweight is $720. Nothing bad to say about the Sako, but you didn't save that much if you really wanted the FW.

I am interested in the Tikka in 308....Why?....I already have Winchesters..and I need a new..different 308......:D

Plus..it's super light....

thanks for the help guys. a nearby shop has a vanguard v2 carbine in 308 for about 500, thinking i may take a look at that tomorrow. my grandpop has a weatherby in 7mm weatherby mag and its a serious quality piece.

If you are going to get the Vanguard carbine, check on the barrel contour first. Based on their website, the carbine has a #1 contour, which is great for carrying, but will heat up quickly and open your groups as you practice at the range. You may want to go with the standard synthetic which has a #2 contour barrel. I bought the standard synthetic and it shoots groups under one inch with factory ammo. Down the road if you want a shorter barrel have a gunsmith take a couple inches off.

I bought my S2 a year ago for $425. Have the prices gone up, or did I just get a great deal? You may want to shop around before paying $500.

Back