Narrowed down to three...

What shotgun would you pick for home defense?

• Mossberg 930 SPX 8-shot (semi-auto)

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Mossberg 590A1 Blackwater Series (pump)

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • FN SLP Mk I (semi-auto)

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATN082268

O.K. My second firearm acquisition will be a shotgun for home defense. I have narrowed down the choices to three. What shotgun would you pick for home defense?

Also none of the above.
For true "Home Defense" an 870 or a 500 is all anyone needs and then some. If you want to go tactical fine, but don't call that HD. Just my opinion.

870, M-4, SuperNova. But, I also like the VersaMax platform for HD (waiting for the availability of an 18.5" barrel or the R12), and the Benelli Vinci Tactical might also be a candidate.

Hi guys, first post for me in a while. Been seriously busy for a while so not a lot of net time.

Anyway - 870 Marine Magnum for me.

After owning an 870 for three years, which was purchased for HD, I concur with Dr. BigJimP on selection of a semi-auto shotgun for HD, but I now would go with a handgun. Both a handgun and a shotgun being preferable.

Also, if for HD and you want a little woman to use it, you may want to consider a youth model 20 gauge.

Forget all the tactical stuff for HD. The only thing I added to my 870, which came with an 18.5" barrel and an extended magazine, is a weapons light.

I'd buy the shotgun you would use for hunting and use it also for the house. Any pump gun will be fine if you want to not spend alot of money.
Hopefully you are not fending off armed intruders every other night. If you want to shoot some clays, doves, quail, pheasant or any four-legged prey then narrow your choices appropriately and change your choke and ammo. You probably don't need an expensive sporting Browning or Beretta OU to just collect dust under the bed or leaning in a corner.

O. K. A couple of people mentioned Remington, so I went over for a look :) What do you think of the Versa Max Tactical for home defense? On another vein, is a pump shotgun generally better than a semi-auto one for home defense? Thanks.

See post #7.

You don't need all/any of that extraneous Bravo Sierra for an HD shotgun.

Pumps allow for ease of unloading and positive proof of a loaded/unloaded firearm.

Original wood furniture is lighter than all or any of the synthetic black stuff and all of the rails (which invite adding to the gun weight).

I used to own a 60's Wingmaster that I "tricked out" with a Choate black straight-line synthetic stock/forend with pistol grip (AR-15 style), a Choate mag extension, a 6 round Sidesaddle and another 6-round ammo holder that wrapped around the buttstock. I was ready for war!

Problem was the fully equipped gun weighed more than 10 lbs.

Sold it to a co-worker who was enamored by its looks.

Another thought: if the gun-grabbers come for firearms, a wood-stocked 870 (minus the mag extension) looks a lot like a gun suitable for duck hunting (and that's what the Second Amendment is all about, right?). It ain't black and threatening to uninformed Feinstein staffers and others of their ilk.

Still does the same job, eh?

One last thought: I have always had a trigger shoe installed on the skinny 870 triggers. Try it out: they are cheap and it's more like pressing the trigger than pulling the trigger.

Last edited:
Hate to rain on your parade, but I am also with most others, go with a good pump. For me, it is an 870.

I do own a Mossberg 930, but not the SPX, just the regular version with wood and 28" barrel as my duck gun. I have been very happy with it when using ammo it likes. For some reason it does not like the cheap Winchester target rounds. So when practicing with clays, I stick with Federal or Remington target shells and all is good. Not a single issue with it when shooting hunting loads.

KelTec KSG is the ultimate HD shotgun, IMHO. Bubba will squeal that it is way to much money and 15rds is way to much, this while they are shoving a 30rd mag in their AR or have 6-8 in their 870 with 5 more in a side saddle on the stock. Flame on!!:eek:

I think it's a good short list. I really like the Blackwater version of the 590 best, as well. I don't think you'd go wrong with any, so pick the one which appeals to you the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back