Name of this 1911 component?

RJ McCormack

Cleaning my Kimber Pro-Carry the other day, I noticed what looks to be a crack in a small component. Not being deeply familiar with the illustrated-parts-break-down, I would call it a "firing pin retention plate". Specifically, this is the piece that locks the extractor and firing pin in place and will drop downward out of the slide when the rear of the firing pin is pushed forward through the plate.

Is this one of Kimber's infamous M.I.M. components? What is the official name? Will a simple call to Kimber get a replacement through the mail or do I have to use a 'smith? Is there an aftermarket replacement that would be considered a smarter investment?

Thanks, in advance, for all replies.

RJ, I don't think the firing pin retainer is an MIM part. It doesn't look like it anyway. You should call Kimber; chances are they'll send you one for free in the mail. Or you can do as previously suggested and buy a new one.

Odd that it would crack. That doesn't seem like a part that would be subject to a lot of stress. But I'm no expert.

Good luck.

Dick

I would give kimber a call too. About a month ago I had a grip bushing that had come out and the threads got messed up and they sent me eight of them(lifetime supply). It took about a week to get them.

The firing pin retainer is not "stressed" in the sense of being subject to any bending strain, but it is hammered on everytime the gun is fired or dry fired and can break if cast or made by MIM. Like all other parts in the design, it was intended to be made from forged and hardened steel.

Jim

Thanks everyone.

REX, the crack is exactly where you indicated. I will check out the Wilson sight and I'm still going to call Kimber.

Back