Nambu Type 94 (gun of the day)

johnwill

Here's a fine looking pistol, right Mike? :)

78422_Nambu_Type_94_6small1.jpg

One little mistake, and you jump all over me! :D

Last edited:
Nambu?

Steve:
Same here. Don't have any record of Nambu making a pocket auto.l But then I have been dead wrong before. It would also appear that the Japanese are using the a different language on this one.

HJN

It sure as poop ain't a Nambu, (Gen. Nambu had nothing to do with it) but it is Japanese, the Type 94 (1934) pistol, chambered for the 8mm Nambu cartridge. They were originally made for export and are listed in some Japanese export catalogs of the 1930's. The guns were originally made with black plastic grips and were highly polished and blued. When war came, they were made for the Japanese armed forces, and were reportedly issued to Navy pilots as well as to some higher ranking officers. As the war went on, quality deteriorated.

In spite of the crude appearance, they are functional and fairly accurate. The sear bar (the dogleg shaped piece) is set into the left side of the pistol, and led to the WWII belief was that this was a "suicide pistol". Supposedly the Japanese soldier held out his pistol as if he were going to surrender it, then pressed the sear bar, either killing himself or an American. The story was nonsense, of course. No combat soldier would let an armed enemy get close enough to do anything like that, no matter how he held his pistol.

Jim

Jim,

You're looking at the wrong picture.

The picture that was posted originally by John, but which isn't showing due to PhotoASA being down, was of a very small, apparently .25 caliber pocket semi-auto that looked a lot like one of the Clement pocket guns.

I know what a type 94 looks like, and the picture that John posted was NOT a type 94.

Actually Mike, he was seeing the type 94. I edited the message when I saw that I posted the wrong picture, comes from diddling with too many photos and not actually looking at what I posted. :D Of course, now that PhotoUSA is down, I don't have to explain it away anyway. :(

Johnwill,

I will look for the Clement(?) picture.

I want to thank you for posting all the interesting, and excellent, pictures and giving us a chance to comment on the various guns. I think I will have to get some digital photo capability so I can post a few that I have.

Jim

Jim,

If you find a free photo site, please let me know. PhotoUSA seems down for the count, so I have to find a new host for my pictures.

Hi, guys,

Barring another goof, we have fine pictures of two Japanese Type 94 pistols, one fairly early and one late. My comments on the Type 94 cover both.

Sorry I can't help with photo sites. I am looking for a digital camera.

Jim

Back