Nagant

rburch

So UPS brought me a present today, just spend an hour cleaning her up.

My M1895 Nagant Revolver dated 1935.

DSC00211.jpg
DSC00212.jpg

DSC00214.jpg
DSC00215.jpg

Hope to shoot her soon, but ammo's been hard to find even online. Did find some in stock from Cabelas, so have 100 rounds, but everywhere is saying beginning of March for the next shipment.

Anyone familiar with these have any pointers for me?

Do.a search on this forum for m1895 or Nagant revolver and you will have hours of interesting reading.

I got one of those puppies. They are a kick in a butt to play with. Not bad shooters single action. The double action trigger is about 476 lbs.

Not all that bad in the accuracy department if you concentrate on the little front sight (as it sets in the rear notch).

I got some Fiocci Ammunition from Cheaper then Dirt when I first got mine, while I was waiting for some 32-20 brass to convert. The Fiocci was cheaper then my brass and is reloadable.

If you want to reload, Lee dies work pretty good. If you use 32-20 brass you have to trim .010 off the back of the rim and run it through the 7.62X38R sizing die. Once that's done it works great.

Again its a fun little gun to shoot. I'm planning on shooting a multi gun match with my Nagant and Mosin. Slow reloading the cylinder but who cares I shoot for fun anyway.

Sure the DA trigger is heavy, but honestly I've seen worse DA triggers on various more current revolvers, specifically Taurus 94, Taurus 85UL, H&R 622, and H&R 926.

In any case, the Nagant is indeed a pretty fun gun, built to last forever, historically interesting, only wish it were cheaper to shoot. Russian military surplus ammo is available if one looks, but seems to cost more per round than does new production ammo. Then again, they say the new production stuff is more akin to .32acp ballistically and the actual military load was one considerably more appropriate to a service weapon.

I've put about 25 rounds through it so far, and it's a pretty good shooter.

I like shooting it.

Now I just need to find snap caps that work and get used to the trigger. :D

Great little plinkers. I reload, using .32-20 brass - NO trimming needed. Depends on the gun - some do and some don't.
A buddy casts the lead bullets, and the cases last forever with the low pressure - so it's dirt cheap to load for. You do NOT need the gas sealing action to have fun. I enjoy popping soda cans and the steel .22 paddle targets.

Now I just need to find snap caps that work and get used to the trigger

Id be very surprised if you could find snap caps for this round seeing barely anyone makes ammo for it. Your best bet is just to make your own if you have reloading equipment

Id be very surprised if you could find snap caps for this round seeing barely anyone makes ammo for it. Your best bet is just to make your own if you have reloading equipment

Oh I realize nagant snap caps aren't likely, but I'm thinking the 32 S&W long caps would do the job.

It just seems like every person I show it too want to try and dry fire it, and i'd prefer not having to replace the firing pin.

Back