NAA Guardian vs Kel-Tec P32

LightningLink

I currently have a Beretta Tomcat for a pocket pistol that I'm looking to replace due to excessive bulk. I live in FL and need something small and light that will fit a pocket hoslter. The NAA Guardian and P32 look like my two best choices. What I like so far:
NAA - Metal frame feels sturdier.
P32 - Lighter, price!

NIB P32s look like they go for $245 to $280. NAAs look more like $350 to $400.

Are there any overwelming reasons to go with the Guardian? I tend to worry that it's weight (almost the same as the Tomcat) will make it too jiggly when carrying in shorts. I think both pistols have pretty much the same profile and feel in my hands. I do like the "solid" feel of the heavier NAA, but I don't know if the weight is a good tradeoff.

Sorry if I'm rehashing an old subject. Thanks for any input.

LL

The Guardian is indeed noticeably heavier than the P32. Its heft likely reduces the recoil comparably, however. For me the weight difference is enough that I am currently selling mine ($260- see FS forum ;) ) despite the fact that it has been completely reliable and fun to plink with.

-G

I have both and if it wasn't for my personal policy of never selling a weapon (guns are for buying, not selling :) ) I would sell off my NAA. The Kel-tec is lighter, flatter, cheaper, the slide locks back after the last shot, the trigger is smoother and lighter without the "trigger slap" my NAA has, has a hgher magazine capacity and has never malfunctioned. My NAA will more often than not stovepipe on the last round but since it's the last round and the slide has to be cycled to feed the next round out of the new magazine anyways, it's not that critical. But still, given a choice between teh two, I'll go with my Kel-tec any day over my Guardian.

I would vote for the Kel-Tec. I bought one for myself on Saturday, and compared it side by side w/ the Guardian last nite (didn't shoot the Guardian, though).

The Guardian is about 1/4 shorter in height and 3/4 shorter in length. The Kel-Tec is very noticably lighter.

According to my friend who owns the Guardian, it will only eat Silvertips. When I took my P-32 to the range, it reliably fed and ejected S&B hardball (about 150 rounds) and 1 mag full of Speer Gold Dots. The only problem I encountered was 3 light strikes on the S&B which I have since discovered were operator error rather than a mechanical problem (not used to the double action trigger).

Recoil was very light even with such a light, small pistol, and I had no trouble pointing it, even with my unusually meaty paws. (I say point rather than aim, since on this size/type of gun, the sights are almost non-existent).

Hope this helps
Dan

When I shot the two side by side, the NAA malfunctioned consistently with the FN hardball I was using. I believe the NAA had to be manually cycled for every round, whereas the KT had its first malfunction after I'd already fired 50 rounds.

I prefer the grip, trigger, profile, and weight of the KT. 245$ seems on the high side, unless it's parkerized.

... My NAA will more often than not stovepipe on the last round but since it's the last round and the slide has to be cycled to feed the next round out of the new magazine anyways, it's not that critical.

A recent AGI (American Gunsmithing Institute) newsletter addressed the NAA pistol trait. Its apparently due to the design of the magazine follower, which is flat or concave. They fixed the problem by silver soldering a small piece of slightly convex metal to the follower, making it act more like a round was still in the mag. After that, the problem went away.

Someone apparently questioned NAA about the stove-piping issue and their reponse was "its designed to stove pipe with the last round." Read: we don't know how to fix it.

It apparently isn't a problem with the similar SEECAMP and AUTAUGA guns...

go for the P32. Recoil is less, even with the lighter weight, because the P32 is a locked breach pistol, while the Guardian is a blowback. Also grip is longer, you can get an extra finger on it, and it holds more rounds.
jmo,
frank

I have both guns, and I also recommend the Keltec. Lighter, flatter, and more reliable. It's also considerably cheaper, softer recoiling, and holds an extra round. What's not to like. :)

Back