"N" frame vintage diamond/ coke grips?

shurshot

Anyone know why these older vintage grips are selling for such a high price these days? I used to see them at shows years ago for next to nothing, now they seem to be going for $3-400 or more on the 'Bay? My new Classic 29-10 grips are very attractive, but a bit thin and with .44 magnums, recoil is noticeable. I was thinking about getting some older N frame wood grips, but at those prices...:rolleyes:
Anyone have a good idea of what a decent set of vintage grips should sell for, some dings, not "Mint"?

Last edited:
They are selling high because collectors are willing to pay those prices. You don't have to buy Diamond or Cokes. You can but S&W N Target grips for $75 to $150. The grips on S&Ws
are no longer made in house. It is irritating since the price of original S&W grips has went crazy, you see a lot of S&W revolvers at shows with aftermarket grips. The N frames for example sell for $900-$1000 for a high condition P&R or even later blued models. They are
stripped of there original grips and still tagged at those prices. Grips sold separately. It's not
just Ns, same with J& K frames. Not just with targets either, original Magnas are high now
to, older models are worse and the condition of grips seem to be over looked as far as price.

Current prices makes me glad that for a number of years I bought every set of older S&W and Colt grips that I came across if they were even remotely reasonably priced. I am still sitting on a small stash of diamond targets for both K and N frames as well as a couple of nice sets of Python and early Trooper grips. I even picked up a set of non relieved K frame targets which are currently residing on one of my '48 vintage K22 Masterpieces.

And no, none of my stash is for sale.

Prices on non-diamond grips aren't too bad compared to good after markets if you look around. Cokes on the other hand have been collectible for 20 years and prices have been high for a long time. Part of the problem is the current Altamont grips on new S&Ws are hideous. Ergo, the supply of decent factory grips is fixed at this point, therefore the price has gone up. Simple economics.

Last edited:
Supply and demand. "Cokes" have not been made since 1967. "Diamonds" have not been made since 1968. Every year a few less remain in existence.

What I've noticed in newer production I've ordered a -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- ton of them trying to find something comfortable. Most if not all newer grips are much to thin and they also taper to the backstrap of the revolver instead of increasing the area to help absorb recoil.

Basically using what works on semi auto grips and applying it incorrectly to revolver grips.

Altamonte replica cokes look and feel fantastic but immediately I noticed that they are about 1/4 to thin on each panel at the back strap so instead of w nice 3/4-1" area to absorb recoil, you get everything right into your hand just from the backstrap. Old target grips we're wide at the back for a reason. If I put some old nframe targets next to them it becomes obviously apparent.

Target grips are to narrow and don't fill your hand well for trigger placement. It's a shame because all the grips I received from them we're top notch and unfortunately are all still in the boxes. If anyone knows someone who could make me some decent looking spacers please let me know.

Only somewhat decent grips I've used are the hogue extreme g10 but Altamont and VZgrips are definitely to thin.

https://m.imgur.com/a/uAIdL

Here is a gallery of what I bought hope it helps.

The N frame Cokes have been pricey for quite some time now, well over a decade. They were always a bit rare as not all the S&W stock makers produced that particular shape. Many S&W factory stocks always had a good more wood to them than needed. Many shooters, back in the day, sawed or chopped them down to suit themselves.

There are a good many makers that produced good aftermarket or custom stocks. John Culina makes very good grips, you can find him on EBay and the S&W forum. Go look at Herrett's Grips on line. Eagle grips makes some good reproductions. Hogue occasionally makes some good grips. Ahrends grips are good.

https://www.culinagrips.com/

http://www.herrettstocks.com/

https://www.eaglegrips.com/

http://ahrendsgripsusa.com/

There are a good many others as well.

tipoc

I got lucky on a lot of S&W wood grips about five or six years ago. I bid on a lot at an auction and won it for $29 and ended up with a nice set of these diamond target grips for an N frame. I didn't own one at the time but ran across a nice Model 28 with rubber grips and the target grips fit nicely. They are going up-up in price. I have a M1917 with pristine grips that had some mechanical issues and the gunsmith working on it made the comment at the time the grips are worth more than the revolver in it's current condition and offered to buy them. Pass, just fix the internal issues, I'll keep them.

I have the Eagle Heritage rosewoods on my Model 22, and they look very good.
The color is much more like the original set on a late-'50s Model 29 than any newer factory grips I've seen.

Back