"N" frame Smith, .41,.44,or.45

bullfrog99

For a 4 inch barreled smith, probably in mountain gun form, which caliber would you choose for all purpose carry in non bear country, 41 magnum, 44 magnum or 45 colt with the appropriate loading such as cor-bon?

Ditto on the 45 Colt. I saw one at our local store this past weekend. It was the Mountain Gun in 45Colt. Very sweet! Even if it was bear country you were in, the stouter 45 loads can be just as powerful I've heard when compared to the others you mentioned. Thats my opinion anyway.......

While I enjoy the .41 & .44 Mags I'm looking for
a Mountain Gun in .45ACP. I already load for it in addition to the Mags and supplies are cheaper for it. The .44 has a TAD too much pep for lomg range
sessions and I end up shooting mostly .44SPLs. At
39oz. the are a very handy piece for sure...dewey

I have a .44 mag Mountain Gun, and I love it. With that being said however, a .45 Colt would be pretty great. The Corbon .45 Colt are stout rounds, and you can handload "cream puff" loads for the range.

Zane

44 Mag is the classic large bore Smith. Neither of the others offer anything over what a well directed 44 Mag will do. Superbly accurate, too. You pays yer money, you takes yer choice. ;)

I have the .44 Magnum.

You can shoot 44 Specials out of it, or the Remington midrange loads for reduced recoil.

And if you ever need more power just use magnum loads.

:)

I've got Mountain Guns in both 44 mag and 45 ACP. I like them both, but when I go out for a walk in the woods, I usually grap the 45. Using moon clips, reloading is a snap, and I don't have to worry about dropping loaded rounds or empty brass in the underbrush. Since I load 45 ACP in large quantities, the Mountain gun in 45 ACP was the ideal choice for me.

.45 ACP

I own, and love, a .41 Mountain Gun! However, If I was buying a new one, (And I may, when "THE AGREEMENT" is aborgated.) I'd get one in .45 ACP. Why, well, I'd use .45 Bullseye loads for plinking. Other .45 ACP loads for normal defence work, and .45 Super/.450 SMC loads for serious bear/boar work. Any way, you can't go wrong with a Mountain Gun.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

While I REALLY REALLY REALLY want a 657, I would go for the .45 LC.

.41 Mag= .41 19.4
.44 MAg= .429 24.91
.45 LC= .452 25.18

with the last # being TKO #. BB loads are up in the 27.5 range.

While I also own one in each caliber, for a "one gunner", I would have to recommend the...

.44Mag

IMO, more options. If you want the .44Mag, there is a supposedly NIB one for sale on Auction Arms. The current bid is $340, with no reserve!!! If this auction doesn't take off, this would be a steal. Check it out at www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=1448666.

If you settle on a 625MG in .45Colt, also check out Auction Arms. There must have been a recent run at *&* on these guns as there are several for sale, ranging from $525-$625. Of course, this assumes that you will buy a post-agreement gun from them.

Regards,

Eric

Back