N Frame S&W Cylinder Problem

kv4v

I have a S&W Model 544 in 44-40. The revolver was made in 1986 and was in unfired condition when I bought it a few weeks ago. I have fired 300 rounds of ammo so far. Today when I returned from the range and began to clean it I found some severe scratches on the front of the cylinder. It looks like someone took a sharp instrument and randomly gouged lines in it. After examining it I can find no explanation. Has anyone experienced this problem and how can it be corrected? Thank you. Doc

Doc, it sounds like you either have a burr on the rear of the barrel at the forcing cone or not enough gap between the cylinder and the barrel. You should have this checked out. You can check it yourself. Insert a automobile feeler gage .008" between a chambered shell casing and the recoil shield. Then another feeler gage leaf .005" thick should pass between the forcing cone and the front of the cylinder with a slight "feel". I would check every chamber like this in the possibility of a bent crane or ejector rod. George

"I found some severe scratches on the front of the cylinder."

Are you sure you're not looking at lead fouling instead of scratches? Maybe powder fouling? Actual scratches in the front of the cylinder should have produced severe drag on the cylinder while shooting. In other words, you'd have felt it.

[This message has been edited by Good Guy (edited May 09, 2000).]

George you were right about the gap between the cylinder and the barrel. The gap on my revolver was .003". I took it to the shop and left it to be corrected and decided to have the trigger pull adjusted along with a complete action job. Doc

------------------
Is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? .... Mae West

Back