Mystery Rolling Block Rifle

Gareth Moehr

Inactive
Hi guys;

I have a old rolling block rifle with absolutely NO markings. I even took the stock and forstock off and looked underneath them. NADA for a hint of manufacturer or model. It's similar to a Remington Crackshot, but it's bigger all over. The most obvious difference is the barrel is much heavier.

It appears to be a .22 caliber. It has a saddle ring and distinctive trigger guard that I can't find anywhere else. If you pull down the trigger guard to lower the block, the number 3518 is stamped on the trigger guard next to the hinge. That's the only number or mark anywhere on it. For construction it has three screws through the reciever/trigger housing assembly

:confused:
Any ideas?

Attachments

• rifleleft.JPG
    rifleleft.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 117
  • rifleright.JPG
    rifleright.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 87
  • rifle2.JPG
    rifle2.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 85
It looks like the Hopkins and Allen Model 922, the "New Model Junior." If there is any marking, it should be on the top of the barrel in very small letters. Those rifles (there were several models) were made from 1888 to 1915, when the company went out of business. The ring is not a "saddle ring", only an assist in unscrewing the take down screw which holds the barrel in place.

As you might gather from the name, those were made as boy's rifles and sold in that era for from $3 to $5. There is a mild collector interest if the rifle is in excellent condition, but few are, as most youngsters shot the heck out of them.

Jim

Checked out

Yes, you are quite right. There is a mark in VERY tiny letters on the barrel. With that info, I found the rifle in a book. It is a model 922. Thank you so much for helping me solve this mystery!

Gareth

Back