Mystery Makarov

MacMakarov

Inactive
I wanted to post an image of the Makarov I have had trouble identifying. Not being a computer whiz I will give the address here and see what happens!

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1518677&a=11479378&p=40488940&Sequence=0&res=high

Any thoughts out there in cyberspace? If you are particularly curious or need additional information I can always e-mail you jpegs.

Some leads have indicated this may be Russian Military Issue. The lower case "y" is the Cyrillic letter "U". The "U" standing for ubechnii or "training". There is also a circle within a diamond/square stamped on both the frame and slide. Following a field stripping many of the internal parts are marked with "K" followed by a number. There are also several lower case "m" s here and there.

Serial numbers AZ 3891 match.

The pistol is import stamped "CAI ST ALB ST" "GERMANY" "9MM MAK" and "CZECH".

Bought this three days ago, cleaned it up and fired it last night at the range. Great accuracy, tight groups, no problems. Could this be love?

Thanks for looking and for your assistance.

Mac

It looks just like my East German Mak, except mine was made in 62 and the serial number begins with a 'B'.

[Removed redundant image of above link. Links are much preferred over images due to bandwidth problems.]

[Edited by Mal H on 02-09-2001 at 04:34 PM]

My confusion came from the fact that it was not marked like the East German mak shown at MakarovInfo.com:

http://www.makarovinfo.com/eg60.jpg

There is no separate number on my pistol and there is no "y" on the image I have seen of the East German Maks.

Add the fact that CAI stamped CZECH on one side and GERMANY on the other and that it came with Red Star grips in a Russian holster to add to my confusion!

Does yours have the "y" as well?

Thanks for the help!

The scales have fallen from my eyes!

Much obliged to all of you for the leads and information.

Thanks to you, Straightshot, I am now convinced that I have an East German Makarov - though I would still love to know what that damn "y" is all about. I am beginning to think it stands for "yutz".

Still very pleased with my purchase and performance.

There has been so much good information on thefiringline about Makarovs in the past few weeks! I have printed out the entirety of the discussion for tips and future reference.

Thanks to all of you in the community.

Till my next quandary!

Mac

My EGerman Mak has a lowercase 'a' with a ring of dots/stars around it where your 'y' is located. It may denote month of manufacture or perhaps what factory manufactured it.

Back