My Word Is In!

timlab55

Well I have an update for everyone and this is from my personal experience of the AR15 and suppressor and using supersonic 5.56 NATO and .223 sub ammo, at the 200 feet mark. First up with the AR15 and suppressor using the 5.56 NATO round. The sound was still there, but according to my wife who was sitting inside our double wide trailer it was a little muffled at around 150 feet. Still loud. The gas from it was a little bit more then it being un-suppressed. I have to figure out how to make this more quite than this, but that's going to be for another day. Now on to the .223 sub ammo going through the AR15 with the suppressor. Quite as a baby bottom. You could still hear something, but not a gun shot to speak of. Of course I still came up with the cycling, as it still wouldn't not cycle to the next round. I guess I'm going to have to make my buffer lighter and see if that will do something. My next plan if the lighter buffer doesn't work is going to be a light spring and if that doesn't work then it's going to be an adjustable gas block.
Again, all I want is a way to take out a coyote at 200 feet, quite (so I don't wake up anyone).
The suppressor that I purchased was the "Canooter Valve Suppressor" made by Witt Machine. To me a good starting point. The ammo I was using 5.56 NATO was something that PSA had on special, was M193 55GR FMJ. and the sub 223 was from BECK ammunition.

If coyote at 200ft (70yd) only, I probably would get a 25 cal and above PCP air rifle. It is quieter than a 22lr to begin with. It is not a firearm so I can put moderator (silencer) on it to make it even quieter. They can be bolt action, semi auto, or even full auto. No license required. They are not toys. People go serious hunting with it.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Timlab, I've played with bolts, buffers and springs a bit, and I don't see a .223 at less than 1100 fps cycling even an aluminium bolt at full gas. Perhaps if you use a 16" carbine barrel with a gas port drilled to a larger diameter it could cycle, but that's only a WAG.

An adjustable gas block only restricts gas, so that may not be helpful.

I'm curious about your suppressor choice. I was considering a Tu-tu-three because it has considerably more volume, and should be user serviceable if it finds a place on a rimfire. From your description, the Canooter sounds sufficient for rimfire use.

I have the same post listed twice and I can't figure out how to delete the first one. If someone could give me directions or delete it for me I thank you.

Just get a nice .22LR and be done with it.

It's fun and educational to try out new and different stuff and I've certainly done some stuff that others might classify as 'questionable' but I had a blast and learned a lot.

That said, the above advice isn't the worst advice in the world.

P.S. Just curious. How long did you have to wait before applying and actually getting your suppressor?

@DaleA - From start to finish it took 33 days. The tax stamp came in an email Sunday morning. I was shocked and so was the person who did the Form 4 for me. We elect. did the form 4 and mail in the finger prints. Good luck!

I often wonder if I would buy a suppressor if there was no tax stamp ATF approval involved? The issues the OP is having getting his rifle to cycle correctly, combined with the fact that it doesn't even reduce noise all that much, and its a bunch of bulk and weight hanging off the muzzle of your gun??? Not to mention cost. Maybe I should just mount a 37mm flare launcher to my AR....seems to be about as useful as a "silencer"?

If I could just walk into a store and buy one (like they can in Europe you gun grabbers!!!) I'd do it but it would be for a .22LR.

I shot a 9mm Beretta 92 with one once (a rental at a range) and was not really impressed with it.

Back