My wife is about to graduate from .380 to 9mm

Bill Barrett

My wife has conceded that she would like to have a little more gun than her .380 has. (the .380 was her first firearm of any type and her being the cute little liberal that she WAS, it was a big step) She likes my 9mm Beretta FS and so I am looking for a 9mm to fit her small hands that is appropriate for a left hander. (left handed mag release and safety/decock).

Any suguestions?

STI Trojan 5.0 in 9mm. It's a pussycat in 9mm and 1911s have a small grip. It's my wife's favorite, she has small hands too. You'll have to buy an ambi safety and she'll either have to learn to adapt to the left hand mag release or buy a right hand mag release which are available but are expensive. I think STI sells them not that I think of it.
http://www.stiguns.com

How bout a HK USP Compact 9?

They come with an ambi mag release, and it's very easy to switch the safety to the left side or even both sides. Very accurate and very reliable. I love mine. :)

How about a Sig 225 or 228. They have the mag release and decocker on the left side, & you won't find any that are as reliable as a Sig out of the box.

Randall

I'll quickly second the Rabid Maddog's suggestion; either the Sig-Sauer P225 or P228!!!:D:)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Rabid Maddog and Ala Dan please pardon me for being dumb and ignorant but in your recommendation of the Sig P225 and P228 you state that the safety and mag release are on the LEFT side of the pistol.
When I fire a pistol I generally use my RIGHT thumb to engage the safety and mag release as I am a RIGHT handed person.
My experience with lefties, wife and daughter, would show that they would like to use their LEFT hand to fire the pistol and the use of the LEFT thumb to operate things would not work with the thumb being on the RIGHT side of the pistol and the safety and mag release being on the LEFT side.
If mistaken please correct.

When you said "left handed mag release and safety/decock", I was also a little confused. You obviously mean left handed and therefore right sided controls. I think you might have a tough time finding a standard uncustomized pistol with right side controls. An ambidextrous safety maybe, but not mag release and decocker.

I own a Sig P228 and I have never noticed it to fit people with smaller hands like women. Is handgun safty second nature to your wife. If so, a BHP might work. Or go and rent some of the various double action single stack 9mms on the market.

I think what the Rabid Maddog meant by his post is the fact that when aiming the Sig P225 (or P228); that with the weapon
pointed "downrange", the decocking lever and slide release
are mounted on the left side.

Regards,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

CZ-75 PCR

The CZ-75 PCR is the smaller, alloy frame version of the venerable CZ-75. I shot one recently. Easy to shoot, accurate, little felt recoil, even with the alloy frame. Excellent grip for my hands. The only donwside is the grips may be a little large for a women's hand. If so, the Sig 239 is another good option in 9MM, but is a bit more expensive.

Pilot

CZ75PCR is the way to go. Inexpensive, and way under rated.
Second choice would be a Kahr or Colt Pocket 9.

The USP seems like a good suggestion to me. It was between a USP Compact in 9mm and the Sig P228. I ended up going with the Sig because it pointed a little better in my hand. I'm a lefty, though and have been somewhat frustrated with the right handed decocker/slide release. The mag release on P-series Sigs can be reversed for us lefties very easily. It took me about 3 minutes.

The big factor is whether your wife is comfortable with the grip and size of any of these pistols. Controls can be reversed/customized/accessorized, but if it isn't comfortable to begin with, the safety location won't be important.

I would take a look at the Browning Highpower. Its grip contours work well for a small hand and it is easy and pleasant to shoot.

That's funny. My wife went from a P228 to a smith 642 (9mm to .38 special). She still loves her Sig though.

Firemedic...

I too am a die-hard leftie. I had to make some adjustments in order to be a handgunner in this severely right-handed world... and I think that your wife should at least consider doing the same, as it's actually EASIER with smaller hands to do some of these moves.

For the mag release, I use the middle finger of my left hand. When I finally got a pistol that had an ambi release (HK) I was SOOO comfortable with doing it the other way, I STILL don't use my thumb. There is NO repositioning of the hand to do it this way. You also have a stronger angle on the button.

For the slide release, I use my trigger (left index) finger. Now I admit, on a few guns (Glocks especially), this is not the most comfortable thing. But on most pistols (HK, Kahr, Taurus, etc...) this is every bit as good, and sometimes, again, even better.

My wife is also left handed, and this is the way she too operates her pistols.

As far as type of pistol, I'd suggest any of the slim, single stacked autos you'll be seeing posted here. Kahr is one of my favorites.

As for the Sig though, I have always stayed away from them because the decocker is only on the left side, and not in a position that is comfortable to operate with any of the fingers of the left hand. Pistols with frame mounted Ambi-safety/decockers or no manual safety are the best for lefties.

Back