My wheel weight supply dried up

Ed_

I went to my local tire shop which in the past would sale me their used wheel weights. I was informed by the manager that they are saving all of them for tractor pull weights. I guess since the last time I went there he started tractor pulling.

My question is where is the best place to buy lead alloy? Some of the places I have found are Ebay, Roto Metals etc. is there a better source?

I really don't want to get into mixing metals to obtain proper hardness. I Cast for a 45 ACP and all I do with the wheel wheel weights is add a little tin.
I know it will be more expensive but I am afraid the government is going to get involved and outlaw the stuff.

Ed

I dont know if the post qualifys for the 100 bullet givaway but...if I win I would like some .458 winchester magnums 552gr.

Lets see 100 x 552= 55200 / 200 = 276 .452 bullits LOL:D

Plumbing Supply house, some guys still use it to install cast iron toilet flanges. Its usually sold in 5 lb ingots or 25 lb chain ingots.

Thank you all for the information.

I think I will order some of that isotope lead

Ed

Last edited:
Meanwhile, keep on hunting, Ed. No idea where the next tire store is from you but distance shouldn't be a huge factor if you only go there 5-6 times a year, right? My lead source is in a little town of 6-7000 folks; has two tire stores and three car dealerships so long before one dries up I'll be working on the others. I'm hoping to pile up a few hundred pounds to have on hand for when it cools off a bit. I don't think I'll ever be a high volume caster but my rifle really likes WW's and I'm hoping my revolver does too.

Pliers don't work so well unless you have one of those with a hook on one side. ;) Could also check out rough railroad crossings because sometimes newby tireboys use the wrong type weight, can usually pick up a Hide-A-Key box there too. :D
From what I'm reading I've been lucky to find a supply so low in Fe and Zn weights. I figure I better gather all I can, while I can.

TNG LMAO!!!!

Left arm can type faster than the rt one since shoulder reconstruction:confused:

It`ll all work out some how , rite TGN !!!!!

Ouch! Best wishes for a quick and full recovery. Hope you're stocked up on ammo, I'm guessing you're all done pulling press levers and whacking sprue plates for awhile.
All kidding aside, wouldn't hurt to ask your PT/OT about optimal workbench and stool heights.

Back