My wheel gun wish list

SonOfScubaDiver

So.......my son says I'm becoming a gun nut, and I might have to agree with him. I would like to eventually have a collection of revolvers. So far, I've managed to get three: Ruger SP101 3" .357/38, LCR 38, Taurus 94 22lr.

What I'd like to have in my collection:

38 special in various barrel lengths--2, 4,6 inches

.357 in various barrel lengths--2,3,4,6,8

.44 magnum in 6 inch (Model 29 Dirty Harry)

.44 special (CA, Son of Sam gun)

.45 long Colt (Old West type)

Cap and ball revolvers in 36 and 44 calibers.

.327 Federal

22 lr and 22 magnum--separate guns

That's only 16 guns. That's not too much to want, is it? How, pray tell, does that make me a gun nut? LOL! :D

No, that makes you a "new collector".../ I would also recommend you fine tune your list a little...( like in .357 Mag...) its not just barrel length or finish ( Blued, Nickel, Stainless, etc ...)...its also about frame size at least within S&W...( in .357 Mag you have K, L and N frames --- each of which is very popular in its own right...)...K might be more for a carry gun, L for a good woods gun, N frame as some of the best finished guns out there in S&W like the model 27's - especially the older versions.../ and you have old N frames like models 27 & 28 ...and the newer versions like the model 627's ( 8 shot N frames ) ...

its not just barrel lengths for most of us that collect and shoot a lot of revolvers....:D

I have the T shirt, owned most of those at one time or another. I don't like 8" barrels and pass on those. They are to long to use for most applications.

At one time I counted 48 revolvers in the safe. Over the years I realized I never used half of them and simplified.

Have only 1 .38 Spl now, a Colt DS for carry.

.357 have model 28s in 4" and 6" and a model 66 2.5" for carry.

.44 magum have 3, a 29 in 6" and a 629 in 6", lastly a 29 MG in 4". The model 29 is beautiful but I prefer the stainless 629 and the MG for use.

.44 special I have 3, 624 4" and 6", and 24-3 4"

.45 Colt owned 2, a 25-5 6" and a 25-8 4"

have no interest in a .327

.22 rf I own a Colt Officers Model Target from 1930 and a model 18 4"

What I found interesting was I didn't see much use for .38 Spl and sold all but the Colt. Odd, the Spl was the first revolver I ever wanted.

I still like the .357 and own 3. The N frames for heavy loads and a model 66 for carry. I'm a fan of the .357 and probably will be till I die.

The .44 Mag is something I lusted after most of my adult life and have 3 left. I'd have a hard time choosing which 1 to keep. I'll admit my .44s never see heavy loads, most are between a Spl and Mag in power. They're more fun to shoot when you're not getting beat up.

Nice cartridge in the .44 Spl, I liked it as much as the Mag. I had a Charter Bulldog but feel they are junk. After the first trip to the range the day I bought it I put it up for sale. Replaced it with a Taurus stainless 445 which was about the same size but a much better gun, I stupidly sold it 5 years later. The only Taurus I ever liked. I'll always be a fan of the .44 Spl.

Owned 2 .45 Colt revolvers, the 25-5 was the most accurate revolver I owned. I parted ways with the .45 Colt when I caught myself loading it with .44 Mag cartridges. I see no need to own a .45 Colt when the .44 can do everything it can. I still lust for a Colt Single Action Army in .45 Colt though.

The rimfires are just fun to shoot and always go to the range with me.

These are my thoughts and experiences doing what you want to do.

Jeez Joed, 48? That's a lot. I hear ya on not shooting many of them. Me thinks that's something that happens with most gun collections eventually--the guns become safe queens. Still, I bet it was a lot of fun finding and acquiring them. I don't know how many I'll actually end up getting. I'm hoping to buy two guns a year, but life may have other plans for me and my finances. The right six numbers could speed the whole process up quite a bit! :D

Wheel guns are a fun obsession to have. Given the history and quality of some products it makes finding new and old a lot of fun.

I would offer 3 pieces of advise (most of which I learned from these forums)

1. Be happy with what you ultimately end up purchasing regardless of what others think/say. People have strong opinions in general and for some reason brand loyalty amplifies those feelings. You will find countless posts around the internet pushing the individual merits and failures of specific models and brands. At the end of the day the only thing that matters is are you satisfied with what your investment?

2. Sometimes practicality needs to take a back seat to aesthetics and fun. Other than SASS shooting (which I don't participate in) I would suggest (in general and only my opinion) single action revolvers provide little real benefit over modern double action revolvers. That simply does not explain why I have as many Single actions as doubles in my safe. I love the stupid things. Not sure why but my absolute favorite firearm of all time is a Old Vaquero with birdshead grips that goes to the range with me pretty much every trip. Its my camping and cabin gun and finds its way out of my safe way more than it has any right to. I have other guns that offer a considerable advantage in reloading speed, size, weight, capacity, and countless other factors and none of those seem to matter much when it comes to what gets shot and what does not.

3. New is not always better. I love Rugers and for me tend to be my go to when looking to add a new revolver to my collection. Regardless if you prefer S&W, Charter, Taurus, ect ect ect I have found that new revolvers often don't have the same flair as their ancestors. Don't get me wrong there is a list as long as my arm of new production guns I want, but as my interest in shooting has grown my love of history as grown with it. Finding an old Colt Police Positive in good shape for the right price provides far more satisfaction that any new purchase I have made recently. Not only do these old guns have a character (I feel) new guns can not replicate the hunt for these classics often provides as much fun as shooting them does. When you start looking at past productions you find a world of options that simply are not found today.

First to buy and last to sell---A mid-frame double action 4" 357 with adjustable sights. Run anything from bunny fart cowboy loads to full house 357.
Personally I like older iron. My 4" pinned and recessed S&W mdl 19 will be around for a while.

A 45 acp is missing from your list as well..
Say a s&w n frame 5", or a 25-2, or a 625.
They are worthy of consideration in your list.

I was counting up all the revolvers I owned and amazingly, it's 7! I honestly didn't think I had that many.

I'd like to get two Model 19's both 4 and 6 inches.
A Model 66 (no dash) in 6 inches.
A Model 29 (no dash) in 6 inches.

Back