My Uberti3urd model Dragoon

tatartot

I know round ball shoot best in my Piettas with the I-32 twist barrel.
But this Uberti has a 1-16 barrel.Would conicals be more accrate then
rould balls in this pistol?TT

IF you had a 'conical' that you could load straight, perhaps, but unless you're into long range shooting with a handgun, it's unlikely the difference would be noticeable.

The issue with 'conicals' in any revolver is being able to get the long axis aligned with the chamber and barrel centerline. Projectiles in a cap and ball revolver need to be swaged into the chamber to prevent flash over, aka chain fires. I don't know of any 'conical' shaped round that lends itself to this swaging action; they all tend to get 'tipped over' on loading and are thus no longer efficient aerodynamically on leaving the barrel.

Seems I remember Mike Beliveau doing a test on YouTube & the
conicals won out.But he may have done mods to it?TT:confused:

I think he was using the Kaido(?) conical bullet. I have used the LEE 44 cal conical off and on for years and it shoots just fine. The driving bands get gradually larger in diameter usually allowing the first to drop into the chamber and align perfectly. They load easiest in Remingtons and some 1860 Armies (maybe Uberti, some ASMs like mine but not Piettas). There needs to be plenty of room to rotate them under the rammer. I have not tried them in my Dragoon yet but they are great "thumpers" over 30 gr FFFg. See link below, it's the middle one for the 44s. On the left for 36cal, on right for ROA.

http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/black-powder-molds/black-powder-conical-cap-and-ball/

Back