My trigger design for the Model 700!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuha375

Hi again,

Instead of the completely wrong trigger system for the Model 700, I designed a seamless system. So I think like this.

Now tell me what you think again please ...

Attachments

• R700.png
    R700.png
    96.2 KB · Views: 97
The flawed design on the left was changed in 2007. I haven't seen a drawing of the new design, so I don't know exactly how the new trigger looks. I changed my pre-2007 rifle's trigger to a Timney about 20 years ago.

Your "new" design won't work.

This is the realm of design engineers and entrepreneurs. If you feel your design is better in some way, find venture capital, find liabiity insurance, have your trigger made, and market it. After all, that is how it's done here in the USA.

In the original design, the spring on the trigger stop screw doesn't need to be very strong at all because the trigger spring is what is holding the trigger cocked so the gun doesn't inadvertently fire.

In your design, you have that spring holding the pivoting bar in place. Since the trigger rearward travel can be adjusted, you need to take into account the possibility that someone will adjust the trigger back out of contact with the pivoting bar. In that case the spring holding the pivoting bar will need to be sufficiently strong to hold the pivoting bar in place by itself in the event that the gun is jarred or dropped. Also strong enough to prevent the sear from camming the bar out of engagement if the engagement is not perfectly square. Your design does give the trigger better mechanical advantage, so that will help some in terms of overcoming this spring force.

You can reduce the trigger spring somewhat to try to compensate for the heavier spring , but you do need some force to hold the trigger in place since it now has a perhaps double the mechanical advantage of the original design. But, if you reduce the trigger spring strength, now the adjustment range of the trigger pull weight will be reduced since the spring is now weaker overall.

So now, where the original design had only one strong spring effectively holding the trigger in the cocked position, your design has two. Only one of them can really be adjusted safely, and if you go with a lighter trigger spring, to compensate for the extra spring holding the pivoting bar in place, that will result in less adjustable range in the trigger pull weight.

The other issue I see is that if any material (dirt/fouling) gets into the gap between the trigger and the pivoting bar, that will change the sear engagement and could result in the gun failing to cock, or worse, having insufficient sear engagement.

OP, the spring in the top right of the assembly under the sear bar up top. I don't completely understand what that one is doing?? Is it putting pressure on the bar to move up when the action is cocked??

Or does it push down on the adjustment setup below the spring? I don't know an awful lot about Rem700's. I am in the Winchester 70 camp myself. That MOA system they are using now is just great from factory, IMHO.

Interesting design. Looks like a lot of extra parts to do less things. Like a Ventura machine, sort of. But after looking it over a while, it seems feasible, but tricky.

I rebuilt an old English Enfield No. 4 a few years back. The trigger on that, even though military grade and serviceable, it was by no means match, to be clear.

So simple, it pivoted on a pin, and had two sear teeth on it. Mind you, this was a "cocked on close" model, so it just had to spring up into place and engage the striker bar, and would be difficult to just implement on a "cocked on opening" setup. You have those cocking cams, and parts in the bolt shroud, etc, but I think Remington simplified it a bit. Maybe, if possible, simplify your setup a little bit.

That spring is in the original design. It pushes the sear (the long part at the top of both diagrams) up to catch the striker during cocking.

The Walker trigger is crisp right out of box. It is what put Remington on the map. They had a patent on it. Why is it completely wrong?

I bought my 700bdl from my friend Dave. He bought it 30 years earlier when he was a teenager. I was told it was the best rifle in the world. One day he came to tell me about the story on CBS. He was cursing the big corporations and calling the rifle a piece of crap. Same rifle, different Dave, within a few months. I had to assure him I understood the "risk" and would never hold him liable.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Maybe someone will need to produce a prototype to try this out. But this person is not me ...

Thanks.

Attachments

• R700 (2).jpg
    R700 (2).jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 31
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back